• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end result of bobville, you'll never retire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end result of bobville, you'll never retire

Attention, CIOs: Stop outsourcing or YOU will never retire ? The Register

I mean would you tell your children to go into IT?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Do you think there is room for an IT services company that "does IT in plain English" or is that inviting accusations of racism?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Do you think there is room for an IT services company that "does IT in plain English" or is that inviting accusations of racism?
      I think there is a gap in the market for this. I always compare Orange and Three - you get more for your money in terms of phone, minutes etc from three but I can't stand calling their customer services. Just the other day I had to spend an hour telling the guys I am not interested in another contract.

I think people will return to the UK in future, especially with IT costs increasing in India, the pound losing value and increased globalisation... There is a future for technical people in the UK, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        From the perspective of someone living in a German speaking area, "IT in plain English" is very attractive to many.

Several years ago a good mate who has native German turned around to me and said "I like speaking English with you, and you have taught me a lot of English, but after being forced to speak with Bobs in their version of English every hour of the working week, I want to speak my own language in my leisure time please."

I couldn't blame the guy at all.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          From the perspective of someone living in a German speaking area, "IT in plain English" is very attractive to many.

Several years ago a good mate who has native German turned around to me and said "I like speaking English with you, and you have taught me a lot of English, but after being forced to speak with Bobs in their version of English every hour of the working week, I want to speak my own language in my leisure time please."

I couldn't blame the guy at all.
          I'd like to see the Germans insist on German in the office. Das waere eine gute Sache.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Attention, CIOs: Stop outsourcing or YOU will never retire ? The Register

Problem with lots of these articles (and the discussions) is that "IT" is a massive field encompassing a huge number of different skills, talents and abilities.

There is a certain middle layer of button pushers which will always get squeezed out of any industry.
            And reading through the comments in there is quite funny. It takes some idiots over a decade to realise that support is tulip and pays tulip and has tulip all chance of progression
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

My new company is called "BobFuqsItWeFixIt Ltd." Probably

Comment

I tell my children not to go into IT for two reasons - one, there's unlikely to be any work, and two, if there were, I wouldn't want the competition.

I spent an hour this morning looking at, and solving, three problems which had been puzzling the offshored support team for months. It seems there's very few people who actually know how to do anything anymore.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I tell my children not to go into IT for two reasons - one, there's unlikely to be any work, and two, if there were, I wouldn't want the competition.

I spent an hour this morning looking at, and solving, three problems which had been puzzling the offshored support team for months. It seems there's very few people who actually know how to do anything anymore.
                  There's always been very few people who actually know hot to do anything anymore. The more worrying thing is that there are very few people who actually think anymore.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There's always been very few people who actually know hot to do anything anymore. The more worrying thing is that there are very few people who actually think anymore.
                    One of them being you. everyone wants to retire.

If a company can get the same job done cheaper they will employ them, as they employ you for your services. Seems as if you can only (try and) get ahead by putting others down.

Whats your next topic, eastern Europeans!
                    Last edited by Slumdog; 14 March 2013, 23:17.

Comment

Working...
                    X