• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forbidden websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forbidden websites

Forbidden categories I tried to browse at work, according to the proxy filter:

Blogs
    Shopping
    Sports
    Real Estate
    Web Hosting
    Search Engines and Portals
    Streaming Media
    Social Networking
    Parked Domain
    Supplements and Unregulated Compounds

BTW most of the time the categorisation was false, e.g. Blogs pops up often for technical articles (not that all my attempted browsing was work-related...)
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

I was blocked at Clientco from accessing a technical article which was classified as "Productivity".

Ah yes, we wouldn't want any productivity around here, would we?

Comment

I was blocked once from the w3 website when looking for some xslt examples. The page had a tag which referred to "sex" rather than "gender".
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Some years ago a colleague left his pc logged in so I changed his technical favourites to point at p0rn
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
          Forbidden categories I tried to browse at work, according to the proxy filter
          translators
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Any shttp:

Comment

They introduced one of these blockers at a ClientCo a few years ago, and it was utterly ridiculous. The only way to get a site unblocked was for the head of IT personally to approve it. After a week the developers had sent in so many false positives that he gave us a blanket exemption from the blocker, just so he had time to do the rest of his job

I can't remember all of the idiocies I personally encountered, but two I do remember: PPK's browser compatibility tables were blocked as being a "Dating" site; and Sam Ruby (a long-time IBM employee who had just become chair of the W3C's HTML5 Working Group) was blocked on his personal domain intertwingly.net for "Criminal Skills and Hacking"

Comment

There is, or was, actually a programming language called LOLITA. Not a good choice. Try searching for coding examples on that one.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

In the past I was usually responsible for blocking sites for the permies.

Jobsite / jobserve, end of.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

I often hit bricks walls trying to buy weapons and armour. I am also running a Cthulhu game and keep getting blocked from viewing web pages to do with it as they are 'occult'.

Okay, each of those is fair but it is still frustrating
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X