• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to cause a run on the banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cause a run on the banks

Clever, clever EU finance ministers agreed a package to rescue Cypriot banks. It's not much fun as usual and as usual it involves risking taxpayers' money, so as a sort of fop to the electorates they've said the account holders will pay 6.75% on balances up to 100,000 euros and 9.9% on anything above 100,000. Surprise, surprise, people then start taking all their money out of Cyprus banks because they see they're about to lose a big chunk of it. So this 'rescue' looks a bit like finding someone in the street who's having a heart attack and slitting his wrists while giving him heart massage. All that happens is that the blood squirts out a bit faster.

What kind of idiot dreams up something like that?

Cyprus govt in race to ratify shock bank deposit tax

BBC News - Eurozone and IMF agree 10bn-euro Cyprus bailout deal
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

The EU couldn't run a bath.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Clever, clever EU finance ministers agreed a package to rescue Cypriot banks. It's not much fun as usual and as usual it involves risking taxpayers' money, so as a sort of fop to the electorates they've said the account holders will pay 6.75% on balances up to 100,000 euros and 9.9% on anything above 100,000. Surprise, surprise, people then start taking all their money out of Cyprus banks because they see they're about to lose a big chunk of it. So this 'rescue' looks a bit like finding someone in the street who's having a heart attack and slitting his wrists while giving him heart massage. All that happens is that the blood squirts out a bit faster.

What kind of idiot dreams up something like that?

Cyprus govt in race to ratify shock bank deposit tax

So how do I make money on this?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

If the banks have no customers, they won't need rescuing. All part of the cunning plan.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          If the banks have no customers, they won't need rescuing. All part of the cunning plan.
          I contacted one of my buddies out there. He said they've known about this for a while, and they have been given shares in reward for surrendering their savings.

If there was a run on the banks, would the contagion spread? Unlikely. I don't think a Cypriot bank is the same as Lehmen brothers.

Storm in a teacup hopefully. Just going to short the euro like feck anyways

Comment

It is a tax rather than a deduction. Although it is not clear whether they would prevent you from withdrawing your cash unless you had paid it.

BBC link:

"People with less than 100,000 euros in Cypriot bank accounts will have to pay a one-time tax of 6.75%, while those with more will have to pay 9.9%. It is expected to raise 5.8bn euros in additional revenue."

And they have taken steps to stop a run:

"A European Central Bank (ECB) official said the Cypriot authorities had already started to take action to ensure that the levy can be collected. Otherwise, there would be a likelihood of massive withdrawals to avoid it, our correspondent adds."

Comment

Of course by deliberately letting inflation run ahead of interest rates over a number of years, this achieves the same affect as if they had simply seized 5-10% of everyone's cash deposits back in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                Of course by deliberately letting inflation run ahead of interest rates over a number of years, this achieves the same affect as if they had simply seized 5-10% of everyone's cash deposits back in 2008.
                Don't forget good old printing money. That's the British way of taxing everyone's savings without them knowing they've been taxed. Why don't the Cypriots do that? Oh right.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Is this even illegal ? its almost equivalent to robbing in broad daylight. What about people with no savings ? Why are they not penalised.

It certainly is scary and I just hope does not happen here in UK.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Is this even illegal ? its almost equivalent to robbing in broad daylight. What about people with no savings ? Why are they not penalised.

It certainly is scary and I just hope does not happen here in UK.
                    As spackily as this is worded, whs.

Comment

Working...
                    X