• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax loophole for UK businesses set to close

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax loophole for UK businesses set to close

BBC News - Tax loophole for UK businesses set to close

Patrick Stevens, tax partner at Ernst & Young, told BBC News the loophole needed to be closed.

He said: "This originates from the situation where British companies are sending their employees overseas, so if they're working full-time overseas, it's probably perfectly fair that they are not subjected to UK tax.

"But in some cases people are taking advantage of a bit of a loophole where British workers are being got into the same situation but this needs to be closed down.

"It's the special rule around agency workers that I understand is allowing people to get into this loophole and take advantage of something that was really only meant for people working overseas."
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

I find it disgusting that there are so many NI dodgers out there
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      I find it disgusting that there are so many NI dodgers out there
      Bleedin' Irish!

Comment

And who are the tax avoiders in these schemes - millionaire bankers, company directors - no, supply teachers.

No doubt in the staff room, they engage in the normal chatter about how rich tax dodgers are the cause of all the cuts to the schools budget

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          And who are the tax avoiders in these schemes - millionaire bankers, company directors - no, supply teachers.

No doubt in the staff room, they engage in the normal chatter about how rich tax dodgers are the cause of all the cuts to the schools budget
          I doubt the teachers know. The scheme is designed to sae employer ni not employee ni.

From what I read the first some heard about it was when their maternity pay wasn't paid as they didn't qualify
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You may be right with some teachers, but they still benefit from it in terms of increased day rate. How many of these teachers are up in arms that they are paid 12-25% more than they should be - and have been on the phone to these providers to demand that they deduct this amount and pay the NI in full.

Comment

You may be right with some teachers, but they still benefit from it in terms of increased day rate. How many of these teachers are up in arms that they are paid 12-25% more than they should be - and have been on the phone to these providers to demand that they deduct this amount and pay the NI in full.
              My guess is that they didn't think. Agency 1 offers 150 a day, agency 2 offers 170 which one do you pick.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                My guess is that they didn't think. Agency 1 offers 150 a day, agency 2 offers 170 which one do you pick.
                Too true - yet they are still deemed intelligent enough to teach our children

Comment

What a load of ignorant dross. Supply pay - essentially working more like we do - pays ~£100/day. If you take holidays into account a teacher has maybe 40 teaching weeks, 200 working days. A mid-pay-scale teacher is on ~25k outside London, and therefore earns MORE per day. YOU do the maths. A top-pay-scale teacher on ~£31k might get £150/day maximum.

Supply rates have not essentially changed in the last decade. When Mrs d000hg qualified it was a fairly good route to go - no politics, no messing about with paperwork (sound familiar?!) - but now it's a joke.

Would you go from a safe permie job to contracting which paid you the same or less per day, for the chance to be waiting each morning for the phone to ring and let you know if you get to work today?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Both shocking and appalling, where's all the bad press for them? Let's name and shame them
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X