• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AZ to close R&D at Alderley Edge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AZ to close R&D at Alderley Edge

700 UK jobs to go and R&D to move to Cambridge.

Not surprised as AZ has been going this way for the last few years.

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

That's quite sad as its a really nice site. But seeing as how they pay tulip rates it won't effect me. Another big employer in Manchester bites the dust though!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
      That's quite sad as its a really nice site. But seeing as how they pay tulip rates it won't effect me. Another big employer in Manchester bites the dust though!
      Their rates haven't moved in the 13 years I have been contracting. Suspect that's due to the number of Bobs they use. R&D moving to Cambridge apparently where they will build a new site (makes sense.....not, considering Alderley Edge has recently been extended and as they closed Charnwood which also had a lot of new buildings).

Comment

A former friend used to use this as his bolt hole. Kept him in continuous work and income. Might struggle to get other stuff though as he has limited skills.

Personally, wouldnt touch the place but each to their own, eh?

EDIT, Oh and the closure has been on the cards for the last 18 months.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          A former friend used to use this as his bolt hole. Kept him in continuous work and income. Might struggle to get other stuff though as he has limited skills.

Personally, wouldnt touch the place but each to their own, eh?

EDIT, Oh and the closure has been on the cards for the last 18 months.
          Surprised as I was at Charnwood a few years ago when they closed that. Moved a lot of resource to AE. There was a lot of talk at the time of R&D being off-shored to you know where and that AZ was effectively becoming a UK shell company with a HO in the UK and everything else distributed.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            It's in Cheshire not Manchester
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

You with them at the moment? Won't affect the IT will it?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It's in Cheshire not Manchester
                Ok, but it was still one of the few large companies based in the North West who used contractors - even if the rates were
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You with them at the moment? Won't affect the IT will it?
                  I'm sat on a very lonely bench at the moment and have been a while.

Wasn't sure from the press story I saw if they were just culling R&D at Alderley Park or closing the site completely so don't know the answer to your question yet. I've had a quick look and can't see anything that clarifies it.

Last time I worked for AZ I was in Charnwood and much of the IT was being done at Tytherington at the manufacturing site. A couple of stories mention relocation of some staff to there which wouldn't be bad as its only a few miles.

Comment

Not to worry. The BBC have moved up north.

Are we moving nearer and nearer to:

North=public sector
                    South-East=private sector

Comment

Working...
                    X