• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

25 < Unemployment, is USA internship the answer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 < Unemployment, is USA internship the answer?

There is a big problem across Europe with unemployed under 25 year-olds

In the USA there is a history of interships that after sometime get offered paid roles (usually after one year)

This is now been abused by employers as a source of free labour, but some say it will change once the economy recovers. Or is free labour hiding bad business models.

The Onion has it's own take

You’ll get as much out of this experience as you put into it, so don’t hesitate to take on as many different projects as you can,” said account manager and internship coordinator Brian Pearson, 41, adding that if any of the five unpaid interns ever found themselves without enough to do, they could always come to him for additional assignments intended for paid employees with at least two years of professional experience. “This is a great opportunity, so just try to take advantage of your time with us and learn as much as you can. Having the right attitude goes a long way around here.”
    Supervisor Encourages Interns To Take On More Responsibilities Of 3 Full-Time Staff Members | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post

In the USA there is a history of interships that after sometime get offered paid roles (usually after one year)

This is now been abused by employers as a source of free labour, but some say it will change once the economy recovers. Or is free labour hiding bad business models.

Supervisor Encourages Interns To Take On More Responsibilities Of 3 Full-Time Staff Members | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    If they are going to work for no pay then they do need to exploit this experience as much as they can to leverage their way into other jobs or into a full time position
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

you are aware of what the onion is aren't you?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        that was my thought, i think the OP saw the linky posted this morning and doesn't quite "get" the site

Comment

[/url]
          If successful replacement of the full time employees with unpaid inters was possible, than I guess that these were experienced guys driven out of their jobs by H1Bs or experienced guys earlier driven out of their jobs by unpaid interns.
          Last edited by mos; 19 March 2013, 14:47.
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

I am sure that some company out there is doing just that this minute ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
              that was my thought, i think the OP saw the linky posted this morning and doesn't quite "get" the site
              Except the same OP started that thread titled "Classic Onion"
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Except the same OP started that thread titled "Classic Onion"
                Actually it sounded so believable to me .... I am sure that this is happening ... as do prison labour camps.

Comment

I should have included some more links to some real reports. This one goes back to 2009.

My question; is now the tipping point, the decline of the west. People working for nothing in the hope things might get better. Parents supporting their adult children. In Spain grandparents are supporting 300000 children from their pensions.

Berger also mentioned another development: the rise of the “adult intern.”
                  Adult interns? Scary.
                  Intern Abuse? - BusinessWeek
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Unpaid internships are quite common in the US as I understand it, but only for desirable jobs - it's essentially a vocational training year? But they would not get any kind of benefits/welfare to support them would they? So either you need to be rich or work a second job to support it...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X