• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Church claims Blairs WMD drive is Against God

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Church claims Blairs WMD drive is Against God

Nineteen bishops have joined the row over the replacement of Britain's nuclear weapons by warning the Prime Minister that the possession of Trident is "evil" and "profoundly anti-God".

In a letter published in The Independent today, the bishops give weight to the growing opposition among Labour MPs to the plan to approve the Trident replacement by the end of the year.

Religious arguments against the development of a new generation of nuclear weapons could unsettle Tony Blair, who is a regular churchgoer.

Mr Blair is likely to feel on firmer ground when faced with the practical, moral and economic arguments for opposing Trident raised by the bishops.

The letter says: "Trident and other nuclear arsenals threaten long-term and fatal damage to the global environment and its people. As such, their end is evil and both possession and use profoundly anti-God acts."

The signatories to the letter include the Rt Rev Peter Price, the Bishop of Bath and Wells; Dr David James, the Bishop of Bradford; Jack Nicholls, the Bishop of Sheffield; and Colin Bennetts, the Bishop of Coventry.

They challenge Mr Blair over his commitment at the Gleneagles summit a year ago to make poverty history. "The costs involved in the maintenance and replacement of Trident could be used to address pressing environmental concerns, the causes of terrorism, poverty and debt," they said.

Labour MPs are likely to challenge the Secretary of State for Defence, Des Browne, over the Bishops' letter when he speaks to Labour backbenchers at a private meeting at Westminster tonight.
    Mr Blair is also facing growing unrest among his MPs over his failure to guarantee a vote in Parliament on replacing Trident. A Commons motion calling for a vote has been signed by 122 MPs, including many senior Labour members.

It was tabled by Michael Meacher, the former environment minister, who welcomed the intervention of the bishops, saying: "It is essential that a decision of this magnitude be taken with a debate in Parliament.

"I support the arguments by the bishops but I would add to them - it is not an independent nuclear deterrent because if the Americans don't approve it, we cannot use it; and on non-proliferation grounds - it is impossible to say to countries like Iran you should not have nuclear weapons but we must have ours."

Church leaders have a long tradition of opposing Britain's nuclear arsenal and many senior church figures joined marches to ban the bomb in the 1960s with Labour stalwarts such as Michael Foot, later the leader of the Labour Party.

But this is the first time senior church figures have entered the debate on replacing Trident since the Prime Minister confirmed the Cabinet was about to carry out its review.

Gordon Brown, the Chancellor, has appalled some of his supporters, including Clare Short, by saying he would support the deployment of a new generation of nuclear weapons.

Before this post sinks Id just like to add that if the Bishops are correct then we can only say that God is a terrorist.

Comment

I doubt this will sink very quickly. I know a number of this board are quite adept at Bishop Bashing.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

According to my reading of the bible it is sinful to have them but not use them, see Matthew 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-28). The The Parable of the Talents also supports capitalism.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Where's Chico?
          Here he is. The ultimate pre-emptive self-styled "Christian"...

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            I doubt this will sink very quickly. I know a number of this board are quite adept at Bishop Bashing.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Any chance they'll sell the old ones off for scrap value like they did with the Vulcan bombers? I could use a couple of nuclear missiles, one for No 10 and one for my next door neighbour.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X