• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

client changes contract length

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

client changes contract length

Hi

Here is the situation.

Client informs agency to offer contractor a 6 month extension. The agency issues a signed contract to contractor for 6 months. Before the contractor signs, the client tells agency that it is now 3 months.

Sounds like the contractor should be a little annoyed, but is there any liability?

Originally posted by theonewho View Post
    Hi

Here is the situation.

Client informs agency to offer contractor a 6 month extension. The agency issues a signed contract to contractor for 6 months. Before the contractor signs, the client tells agency that it is now 3 months.

Sounds like the contractor should be a little annoyed, but is there any liability?
    Your contract will say they can give you notice (usually one month), look upon it as they are giving you three months notice instead, or in other words your contract is only ever as long as your notice period!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Wouldn't the first thing to do is to speak to the agent and ask why?

How are we supposed to help with questions like this with absolutely no detail whatsoever?

It doesn't matter how long the extension is. If they want you after 3 months they will give you another one. If they want rid of you after 3 months they will just give you notice, hell, they can even walk you and tell you there is no work so you get no notice.

Try doing a bit of basic investigation and give us something to go on.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Your contract will say they can give you notice (usually one month), look upon it as they are giving you three months notice instead, or in other words your contract is only ever as long as your notice period!
        Which is for permies anyway so nigh on useless.

Comment

This wouldn't be the job they are advertising for a perm to fill you posted about previously would it?

Comment

Hi

Here is the situation.

No liability. It's called being in business - things change.

Talk to the client and ask why it's changing - there might be an explanation which sets you worrying.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Nope.

For example, they offer you a 1 year contract with 1 week notice and then 6 weeks in they give you 1 week notice and you're gone. There is nothing you can do, your contract is only guaranteed to be as long as your notice period because they can terminate it at any time by giving notice. They have no liability beyond the notice period in your contract (and not even that according to some people).

In your case, what they will do is vary your contract. If you took it to the letter of the law then they could give notice to terminate the contract and issue a new one to give a total of 3 months duration or wait until 1 month before they want the contract to finish and give you notice then. At least they are being up front about what they can commit to!

There isn't anything you can do about it really, just get on with your work and understand that this is why you are getting paid twice as much as an equivalent permie....
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Or you get my client who randomly offer 1 month or 3 month extensions without warning or discussion, usually within hours of previous one ending.....

Consider yourself lucky.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Or you get my client who randomly offer 1 month or 3 month extensions without warning or discussion, usually within hours of previous one ending.....

Consider yourself lucky.
                  I had a client offer me a three month role at the interview. When the agent contacted me, it was now a six month role.

It set the alarm bells ringing significantly about what might have happened in the two hours between interview and formal offer!
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X