• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parking - Grrrr

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking - Grrrr

So I took up a contract at a client, where parking was provided on site, free of charge.

2 months into a 4 month gig, and I've been told that I can no longer park in the car park. But there is one over the road for £100 per month.

I only work form site 10 days a month.

Ok, £100 isnt a lot - but isnt that beside the point?

Anythign I can do?

car share? find out from HR if they have a deal with the parking company. Had that one with Aviva, where they have tie-up with NCP. All it came down to was £55 per month.
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
      So I took up a contract at a client, where parking was provided on site, free of charge.

2 months into a 4 month gig, and I've been told that I can no longer park in the car park. But there is one over the road for £100 per month.

Anythign I can do?
      Keep the email as it shows explicit differences between yourself and employees and regard it as a cheap IR35 differentiator.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes.

1. Suck it up
        2. Quit contract
        3. Go by public transport
        4. Ask for rate rise to cover increased costs

The choice is yours!

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post

Anythign I can do?
          This?

£100 a month is pretty cheap if you're in the South East.

Comment

I just decline a role because they wouldnt confirm I could park on site (client site is miles from anywhere) nor use the restraurant facilities. And that's before I'd had the contract reviewed.

If client site is in a built up area, have you checked if any locals rent out their driveway? You can search on the web for suitable places.

I dont think there's anything you can do re the client. I think its bad form for clients to pull this type of trick. Not sure its anything other than a very weak pointer to being outside IR35 either.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

In Windsor (where the parking is a PITA) I used to park outside of the town where it was free and walk a mile or so in. Could you do something similar?
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

When I was at the last place they removed the free coffee. This cost me £10 a month, but I gritted and completed the contract.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Buy a motorcycle...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    Die on a motorcycle...
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X