• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home or away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home or away

Which would you take? The right role away from home involving a lot of travel and some staying away, or a less correct role but near home with a gentle commute and the chance to see your own bed on a regular basis.

Bearing in mind you are only as good as your last gig what does 'less correct' mean?

Could you put even less information in so any kinda of answer is based on nothing please. Thanks.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Bearing in mind you are only as good as your last gig what does 'less correct' mean?

Could you put even less information in so any kinda of answer is based on nothing please. Thanks.
      I'm sure you know your skill set and what you could do really well (the 'correct one'). I'm also sure you could have a go at something close to what you have done before but that you know isn't really in your usual line of work. I currently have an offer of both. The 'correct one' is the one away from home. The 'I would have a go at it' is near home with some good guys I know well, but i'm pretty sure isn't something I should really do.

Comment

Ones further away incurr expense. I subtract this and a bit more from my day rate when looking at local roles. Still can't bloody get any though!
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          Ones further away incurr expense. I subtract this and a bit more from my day rate when looking at local roles. Still can't bloody get any though!
          But would you take one that wasn't really what you do just because it was closer / easier?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            But would you take one that wasn't really what you do just because it was closer / easier?
            I would. After driving 30k miles last year, and travelling 3 hours daily by train this year, I must say that I do not have much time left to do anything else apart from dinner and sleep. After a while it starts to get boring. The one closer to me would appeal me more, since I can spend more time with family and earn decent money. You could always brush up later, or massage your cv for the next "correct gig". With whatever little contracting experience I have, I have learned that money makes me happier than good/correct work, and most of the times great projects and enjoyable contracts are illusions.
            Last edited by tranceporter; 21 March 2013, 20:46.
            I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Which would you take? The right role away from home involving a lot of travel and some staying away, or a less correct role but near home with a gentle commute and the chance to see your own bed on a regular basis.
              I did exactly that, regretted it as the role was pants, came to extension time and I turned down another 6 months in favour on a role much further away but which was a much better fit and was where I wanted to be going technology wise (more £££ obviously which helps).

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
                I have learned that money makes me happier than good/correct work, and most of the times great projects and enjoyable contracts are illusions.
                Partially agree with that. There are good ones out there but not many and its just luck as to whether or not you get one. I've learned not to have any expectations past the next contract now.

Originally posted by kal View Post
                I did exactly that, regretted it as the role was pants, came to extension time and I turned down another 6 months in favour on a role much further away but which was a much better fit and was where I wanted to be going technology wise (more £££ obviously which helps).
                And I agree with this too. I've actually opted for the distance one as its a better fit with what I have done and will be trying to do in the future. I will actually be worse off against the nearer one though.

Comment

I'd bite the darling agent's arm off for a role that would let me get home every night. Haven't had one for over 10 years. Weekly commute was fun at first (hey, I'm travelling to other places and getting paid for it!) but now it feels like I have thrown a large part of my life down the drain for it.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I am in that boat at the moment, two gigs very close to home. One is a junior role but only £40 a day less than my last extension offer, the other is again close but very bob intensive (albeit with a client that will look good on my CV).

At the same time I am also quite keen on a London based gig with a big IB, which will look excellent on my CV, sounds really interesting but will be a pain in the arse to work on.

A year or two ago I would have taken any offer when benched, but now the warchest is looking a bit more protestant I can be choosy in what roles I take
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X