PDA

View Full Version : What's this Game?

Malcolm Buggeridge
22nd March 2013, 08:14
Can't remember the name of this game, just wondering if any of you lot can help.

It was not so much a game as such, more a journey through a fantasy world where one would navigate through Avatar like landscapes. In fact, it was more a showcase for the graphics than anything and the design bureau I worked in at the time used to rave about it.

This was in the late 90's - don't know if it's still current but it had a one word name - I'm tempted to say it was something like "Dune" but it wasn't.

stek
22nd March 2013, 08:24
Myst?

Bunk
22nd March 2013, 08:45
Unreal?

Malcolm Buggeridge
22nd March 2013, 09:04
Myst?

No

Unreal?

No

Bunk
22nd March 2013, 09:06
No

No

Come on, give us some more clues. We don't have much to go on here.

gingerjedi
22nd March 2013, 09:06
Another World?

darmstadt
22nd March 2013, 09:08
Commander Keen

(seeing as I work with green screens, this is pretty much hi-tech for me plus its the last game I think I actually managed to play for longet than 2 minutes)

gingerjedi
22nd March 2013, 09:09
Riven?

Malcolm Buggeridge
22nd March 2013, 09:12
Come on, give us some more clues. We don't have much to go on here.

It was first person.

And a one word name.

This ain't a quiz - I've completely forgotten the name and I want to buy a copy if it's still around!

Bunk
22nd March 2013, 09:14
It was first person.

And a one word name.

This ain't a quiz - I've completely forgotten the name and I want to buy a copy if it's still around!

I was just meaning anything else you can remember would help. Myst and Riven sound like the closest ones so far. Not really games, more like surreal slideshows with puzzles.

Malcolm Buggeridge
22nd March 2013, 09:15
Myst?

Got it.

Riven - the sequel to Myst...

stek
22nd March 2013, 09:16
Got it.

Riven - the sequel to Myst...

Jedi said Riven!

Malcolm Buggeridge
22nd March 2013, 09:16
Riven

That's the badger!

stek
22nd March 2013, 09:17
Eh? Is it Riven then or Another World?

Malcolm Buggeridge
22nd March 2013, 09:21
Eh? Is it Riven then or Another World?

Riven. I got it before I saw GJ's reply. Then I ggooled it and saw it linked in with your answer.

gingerjedi
22nd March 2013, 09:30
Riven. I got it before I saw GJ's reply. Then I ggooled it and saw it linked in with your answer.

I'm still claiming the prize. :tantrum:

SupremeSpod
22nd March 2013, 09:34

First prize : a night out with Malcolm.

Second prize : a night in with Malcolm.

chef
22nd March 2013, 09:39
what platform was it on? Spectrum? PC? Amiga?

Malcolm Buggeridge
22nd March 2013, 10:15

I've put a carvery for two on credit behind the bat at the Brent Knoll Hotel.

You just have to say "I'm a gay DBA" to the staff to identify yourself..

Bunk
22nd March 2013, 10:21
what platform was it on? Spectrum? PC? Amiga?

PC. Myst was one of the first really successful releases on CD-ROM back in the day. Riven was the sequel a few years later.

stek
22nd March 2013, 10:23
PC. Myst was one of the first really successful releases on CD-ROM back in the day. Riven was the sequel a few years later.

Think I have Myst for Mac in a nice big box back home. Could be Myst II tho if there is such a thing....

Bunk
22nd March 2013, 10:26
Think I have Myst for Mac in a nice big box back home. Could be Myst II tho if there is such a thing....

There is, it's called Riven. Myst III is called Exile.

stek
22nd March 2013, 11:18
There is, it's called Riven. Myst III is called Exile.

It's Myst I've got then.

I have The 7th Guest on my iMac too!

Bunk
22nd March 2013, 11:21
It's Myst I've got then.

I have The 7th Guest on my iMac too!

Yeah, I had that on the PC too. At the time it seemed that all CD-ROMs were going to do was make crappy non-interactive games with postage stamp sized FMV clips. Dedicated 3d accelerators made much more difference in the end.

stek
22nd March 2013, 11:24
Yeah, I had that on the PC too. At the time it seemed that all CD-ROMs were going to do was make crappy non-interactive games with postage stamp sized FMV clips. Dedicated 3d accelerators made much more difference in the end.

My favourite from the time was Blade Runner - came on four CD's!

Bunk
22nd March 2013, 11:26
My favourite from the time was Blade Runner - came on four CD's!

That was a brilliant game though, actually felt like you were doing detective work. It didn't just use the format for crappy video.

darmstadt
22nd March 2013, 11:52
Didn't go down too well in Germany as Myst (mist actually) is a slang word for manure, dung, shit, etc...

Customer: Excuse me, I'd like to buy Myst
Spotty Games Shop Assistant: Sorry, you'll have to go to the Euro shop for that, hur hur