• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will Cyprus cause the collapse of the Eurozone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Cyprus cause the collapse of the Eurozone?

Well we all thought it would be Greece or one of the other PIIGs.
    But history shows it's the small events that precipitate larger convulsions in ways we cannot predict.
    For example the assasination of Archduke Ferdinand in Sarajevo in 1914 was seen as minor event in the big scheme of things yet changed the world with the 1st World War.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

That's weird.

As soon as I read the title I was thinking of the assassination of the Archduke.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Why is a hyper intelligent super being like you asking a useless bunch of cretins like us?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        It's a cunning experiment to see if he can think up to our level.
        FTFY HTH
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          It's a cunning experiment to see if he can think down to our level.

HTH.

I thought only rocks and politicians were at our level?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Why is a hyper intelligent super being like you asking a useless bunch of cretins like us?

My role is to raise or uplift the very low level of this forum by planting ideas and thoughts into otherwise barren soil.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              My role is to raise or uplift the very low level of this forum by planting ideas and thoughts into otherwise barren soil.
              Unfortunately, this forum is a barren wasteland void of all intellect, your seed will find no purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                That sentence doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  That sentence doesn't make sense.
                  I rest my case.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well, it rather depends what happens.

If the troika succeed in imposing a haircut on ordinary savers, rendering the deposit guarantee worthless, and with most accounts paying piss all in interest, it's not hard to imagine widespread runs on banks across the EU.

If the cypriot banking system collapses and the deposit guarantees aren't honoured then ditto.

The only viable solutions are either the EU and IMF step in with some sense (I said viable, not likely ) or a third party bails them out in return for something. The russians look most likely here.

The irony is that much of the problem can be traced back to the haircut imposed on greek bindholders, as cypriot banks were heavily exposed.

Oops.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X