• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German Imperium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Imperium

I like Charles Moore and I enjoyed his article in todays Torygraph.
    He talks about how Germany is (pretty well unintentionally) taking over europe.

Southern Europe lies prostrate before the German imperium - Telegraph
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

You need to join up your thinking and ask why this has come about.
    Power comes from being economically powerful.
    Because the Germans did not follow a naive and simplistic strategy-free free-market policy like us, they preserved their industries and so are now stinking rich, unlike us.
    And stinking rich countries always flex their muscle.
    Good luck to them, let's hope in the long run they are an enlightened power, although sadly I don't see that at the moment.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

The way I see it, the German strategy wasn't to dominate Europe at all. They were simply a bit more cautious and less willing to rush headlong into an 'efficiency at all costs' economic model. The end result of this is that when everyone was overtaken by events beyond anyone's control the Germans were left standing and able to take advantage while the rest of us were knocked to the floor.

I don't think their desire to manipulate the economies of weaker countries is malicious, althought it does seem somewhat misguided, rather that they are smart enough to undedrstand that what happened before will happen again unless the game itself is changed on a fundamental level. Global capitalism needs to be, for want of a better word, regulated, or harnessed, rather than being left to run riot.

Whether they are in a position to effect these changes is debateable. The sort of naive power plays we're seeing at the moment are going to fall well short.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        The way I see it, the German strategy wasn't to dominate Europe at all. They were simply a bit more cautious and less willing to rush headlong into an 'efficiency at all costs' economic model. The end result of this is that when everyone was overtaken by events beyond anyone's control the Germans were left standing and able to take advantage while the rest of us were knocked to the floor.

I don't think their desire to manipulate the economies of weaker countries is malicious, althought it does seem somewhat misguided, rather that they are smart enough to undedrstand that what happened before will happen again unless the game itself is changed on a fundamental level. Global capitalism needs to be, for want of a better word, regulated, or harnessed, rather than being left to run riot.

Whether they are in a position to effect these changes is debateable. The sort of naive power plays we're seeing at the moment are going to fall well short.
        The Germans didn't dominate the EU, it's the Euro that brought it about. In effect it gave the Germans an artificially undervalued currency (for their country) and much of southern Europe an artificially inflated currency, giving them the false impression that they could afford to buy what the Germans exported.
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

The ones with military bases in Cyprus are the Brits, not the Germans.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
            The ones with military bases in Cyprus are the Brits, not the Germans.
            Historical legacy rather than current reality.
            But then thinking has never really been your strong point.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
            X