PDA

View Full Version : Saturday night on a budget

suityou01
23rd March 2013, 16:51
Yes things are tough at Suity towers. Epic handbrake fail on Suityou02s Touran which involved a complete strip down to carpet level of her car. :suicide:

So I though to cheer ourselves up, a little Saturday night treat. Dial out? Nah, expensive. Steak dinner? Steak alone is 10 quid for some non chewy cuts. Heading into takeaway prices before you even get to the veggie aisle.

So here it is.

1 chicken £4.50. Jointed, spatchcocked and halved. Marinading in Nandos Hot Peri Peri sauce, £2.

Adsa own brand coleslaw, 25p.

Uncle bens Mexican spicy rice, microwaveable packet, £1.54.

Frozen corn on the cobs £1.38.

£9.67 for a home cooked Nandos for 2!

Oh and two bottles of wine, £8 but hey.

And I'm boiling the chicken spine to make chicken stock, because that's how I roll :smokin

Food critics, flame away.

Pretentious moneybags, brag away.

:D

d000hg
23rd March 2013, 17:04
£10 for steak? Is that for two or the whole family because £5/steak gets you into very good territory, not "non chewy". Up here anyway... but then we can also get a pretty decent takeaway pizza for £5 and a very good curry-for-two-with-trimmings for £12.

suityou01
23rd March 2013, 17:08
£10 for steak? Is that for two or the whole family because £5/steak gets you into very good territory, not "non chewy". Up here anyway... but then we can also get a pretty decent takeaway pizza for £5 and a very good curry-for-two-with-trimmings for £12.

I knew it, Luton is expensive. I need to move somewhere more chavvy, like, uuuumm, Dunstable. :D

£5 per steak.

Curry order normally around 25 quid mark, main dishes being around 7 or 8 quid. :suicide:

ctdctd
23rd March 2013, 17:11
I knew it, Luton is expensive. I need to move somewhere more chavvy, like, uuuumm, Dunstable. :D

:fight: :spank: :ladybags: :spank: :fight:

You stay behind the wall or we'll set the polar bears on you.

suityou01
23rd March 2013, 17:13
:fight: :spank: :ladybags: :spank: :fight:

You stay behind the wall or we'll set the polar bears on you.

You're safe, I don't need any pound shop items. :D

ctdctd
23rd March 2013, 17:14
You're safe, I can't afford any pound shop items. :D

FTFY :tongue

d000hg
23rd March 2013, 17:22

£5 per steak.

Curry order normally around 25 quid mark, main dishes being around 7 or 8 quid. :suicide:If it's good steak that's OK - when we paid that at our local award-winning butcher it was probably as good as £25 steak in a decent restaurant.

Good job on the budget meal though, especially the 25p coleslaw. I wouldn't have gone the frozen sweetcorn route though - fresh or nothing if it's on the cob.

doodab
23rd March 2013, 17:28
And I'm boiling the chicken spine to make chicken stock, because that's how I roll :smokin

I've always found boiling bones makes gelatin. I normally save the wings and a leg and boil that with the rest of the carcass and a carrot, onion, celery, pepper and bay leaves. Or seaweed, ginger & star anise if I fancy something more exotic. But you need a bit of meat.

MarillionFan
23rd March 2013, 17:46
Budget!! Moo haa haa! Call yourself a contractor?!!!

At Suity's house.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_473nrD5vEv8/SPxkLdME_BI/AAAAAAAAA1Q/pYBSnQH77To/s400/poor-family.jpg

At MFs house

http://andyxl.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/christchurch-great_hall.jpg

ctdctd
23rd March 2013, 18:00

At Suity's house.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_473nrD5vEv8/SPxkLdME_BI/AAAAAAAAA1Q/pYBSnQH77To/s400/poor-family.jpg

At MFs house

At least he's got someone to eat with. :laugh

suityou01
23rd March 2013, 18:01

At Suity's house.

At MFs house

Excellent work sir. :D

And for your bragging course? :smokin

MarillionFan
23rd March 2013, 19:25
Excellent work sir. :D

And for your bragging course? :smokin

Pudding at Suity's house for the kids.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wo7z1CFM1rsudxt.jpg

Don't lick it all at once Suityou3, Suityou04,05 and 06 still haven't had a turn.

http://www.goodfoodstories.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/1.-Hogwarts-Feast.jpg

Pudding at MF's.

NotAllThere
23rd March 2013, 19:37
Crispy pork belly
Rice
Chinese greens
Chinese omelette

Fed five for about 12CHF = ~£8

Cliphead
23rd March 2013, 19:39
Having Saturday night off the diet. Not sure what to order to be delivered but it'll be a lot so breakfast is covered as well.

suityou01
23rd March 2013, 19:57
Having Saturday night off the diet. Not sure what to order to be delivered but it'll be a lot so breakfast is covered as well.

Well you've been working your socks off on plan b that's now plan a so you deserve it :hug:

suityou01
23rd March 2013, 19:58
Crispy pork belly
Rice
Chinese greens
Chinese omelette

Fed five for about 12CHF = ~£8

Not for much longer :suicide:

Cliphead
23rd March 2013, 20:01
Well you've been working your socks off on plan b that's now plan a so you deserve it :hug:

First night off for weeks :ohwell

Might need a coder for another client I was talking to yesterday, have a VB 5 /6 framework to start with.

Basically a cut down version of the software this company uses to configure door entry cards;

Linky (http://www.axxessid.com/)

Should be a quick and easy project for somebody :wink

suityou01
23rd March 2013, 20:37
First night off for weeks :ohwell

Might need a coder for another client I was talking to yesterday, have a VB 5 /6 framework to start with.

Basically a cut down version of the software this company uses to configure door entry cards;

Linky (http://www.axxessid.com/)

Should be a quick and easy project for somebody :wink

I used Vb5/6 from 1997 through 2003. Not touched it since but it's such a piss easy language I'm sure I could be of service. :D

That said, I thing scragmesiter still practices the dark art so it may be worth pinging him a PM.

norrahe
23rd March 2013, 21:00
I've always found boiling bones makes gelatin. I normally save the wings and a leg and boil that with the rest of the carcass and a carrot, onion, celery, pepper and bay leaves. Or seaweed, ginger & star anise if I fancy something more exotic. But you need a bit of meat.

Left over carcass is always good for stock but chicken wings are better, slightly roasted, lots more gelatin. I can normally get at least 4-5 meals out of a chicken; roast dinner, chicken caesar/salad, chicken gratin and then lots of soup from the carcass.

Nothings beats a good old baked pasta or risotto, just did baked pasta with tomato sauce, feeds 6 for about €3.

I am wary of cheap chicken over here, its mass produced, anaemic and full of chemicals, probably the same as the stuff you get in the UK, though cloggers has a pretty bad reputation for battery farming.

Paddy
23rd March 2013, 22:29
Yes things are tough at Suity towers. Epic handbrake fail on Suityou02s Touran which involved a complete strip down to carpet level of her car. :suicide:

So I though to cheer ourselves up, a little Saturday night treat. Dial out? Nah, expensive. Steak dinner? Steak alone is 10 quid for some non chewy cuts. Heading into takeaway prices before you even get to the veggie aisle.

So here it is.

1 chicken £4.50. Jointed, spatchcocked and halved. Marinading in Nandos Hot Peri Peri sauce, £2.

Chicken £4.50? We get fresh pheasants for £2.50

sasguru
24th March 2013, 11:30

So here it is.

But on the other thread you claimed to be doing well on forex trading? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
It's your kids I feel sorry for.

suityou01
24th March 2013, 12:10
But on the other thread you claimed to be doing well on forex trading? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
It's your kids I feel sorry for.

It's called money management. Read the 1 minute millionaire. Seriously.

Living frugally frees up cash for investments and forex trading :happy

d000hg
24th March 2013, 13:02
What is a Chinese Omelette, is it just egg fried rice with less rice?

vetran
24th March 2013, 14:05
why develop outdated software that needs to be installed on their systems? Put a web server on the control box.

Went to Taipan in Uxbridge, as much as you can eat for £40.

minestrone
24th March 2013, 14:59
Is a nandos for 2 not going to cost about 12 quid anyway?

Sysman
24th March 2013, 15:31

Good deal on the coleslaw.

Uncle Ben's rice is outrageously priced when you look at the price of normal rice.

I can get a kilo of proper risotto rice for that kind of price, and add my own herbs 'n' stuff.

vetran
24th March 2013, 16:28

Uncle Ben's rice is outrageously priced when you look at the price of normal rice.

I can get a kilo of proper risotto rice for that kind of price, and add my own herbs 'n' stuff.

yes but do you add all those nice E numbers?

d000hg
24th March 2013, 17:23
Unexpectedly went for a takeaway of our own last night:

- Tikka Chicken starter
- Prawn puri starter
- Spicy tikka massala main (special request)
- Prawn sag main
- Veg rice
- Garlic Naan
- 3 or 4 popodoms
- onion salad & raitha dip

£13. More than we could eat and very good.

Sysman
24th March 2013, 18:08
yes but do you add all those nice E numbers?

Nope. I very rarely resort to packaged food nowadays.

Fresh meat, veg, salad and fruit has been my thing ever since I lived in France.

MaryPoppins
24th March 2013, 19:47

Surely cheaper to make your own. And much nicer. :sick

hyperD
24th March 2013, 20:29
Left over carcass is always good for stock but chicken wings are better, slightly roasted, lots more gelatin. I can normally get at least 4-5 meals out of a chicken; roast dinner, chicken caesar/salad, chicken gratin and then lots of soup from the carcass.

Nothings beats a good old baked pasta or risotto, just did baked pasta with tomato sauce, feeds 6 for about €3.

I am wary of cheap chicken over here, its mass produced, anaemic and full of chemicals, probably the same as the stuff you get in the UK, though cloggers has a pretty bad reputation for battery farming.

Which is why you will always will be CUK's greatest chef and gourmet!

MaryPoppins
24th March 2013, 20:33
Which is why you will always will be CUK's greatest chef and gourmet!

Eh?

Did you not see the OP in this thread?

:smile

hyperD
24th March 2013, 20:53
Eh?

Did you not see the OP in this thread?

:smile

:)

Yes. I was being sympathetic to the OP, but the intent still remains: norrahe is a great cook.

d000hg
24th March 2013, 21:24
Surely cheaper to make your own. And much nicer. :sickYou can make coleslaw for under 25p? You can't even buy a cabbage for 25p. You can make a portion of coleslaw for 10p but only if you end up with 20 portions...

Sysman
24th March 2013, 21:29
Surely cheaper to make your own. And much nicer. :sick

Not for myself.

I see Dooohg beat me to it.

MaryPoppins
25th March 2013, 08:56
You can make coleslaw for under 25p? You can't even buy a cabbage for 25p. You can make a portion of coleslaw for 10p but only if you end up with 20 portions...

That's what I meant. I'd rather make a large batch than buy grim 25p stuff.

Lockhouse
25th March 2013, 09:04
Waitrose "Dine in for two for £10". That includes a bottle of wine. Job done.

DimPrawn
25th March 2013, 09:04
WTF is happening here?

What happened to Contractor Lifestyle threads?

MarillionFan
25th March 2013, 09:08
WTF is happening here?

It's a make Suityou feel better about himself. I has the same conversation with Mrs MF last night over Lobster and a nice glass of Krug Brut Vintage 88. I think Suity was having Tescos own Scampi.

sasguru
25th March 2013, 09:10
WTF is happening here?

He blew his small pittance on the Forex markets.
I really wish Darwin were still around to see the evidence of his theory.
:rollin::rollin::rollin:

DimPrawn
25th March 2013, 09:23
He blew his small pittance on the Forex markets.
I really wish Darwin were still around to see the evidence of his theory.
:rollin::rollin::rollin:

http://antzfxway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/evolution-man-computer.gif

Ignis Fatuus
25th March 2013, 09:50
WTF is happening here?

What happened to Contractor Lifestyle threads?Some people are waking up and smelling the coffee?

DimPrawn
25th March 2013, 09:54
Some people are waking up and smelling the coffee?

Kopi Luwak I hope.

d000hg
25th March 2013, 11:41
Waitrose "Dine in for two for £10". That includes a bottle of wine. Job done.I think M&S are similar though isn't it against their veneer of quality to give you meal+wine for £10?

vetran
25th March 2013, 11:54
and for paupers

Finest Meal Deal - UK (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/ProductBuylist/default.aspx?id=L00003048)

Lockhouse
25th March 2013, 12:50
I think M&S are similar though isn't it against their veneer of quality to give you meal+wine for £10?

The missus has got us the Waitrose ones a couple of times - they're great for midweek when only one bottle of wine is required.