• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting one over on a recruitment agent.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting one over on a recruitment agent.

Here's a little story to cheer you up. A few months ago I got contacted by a recruitment agent out of the blue for a development role that fitted me like a glove, technology wise as well as softer skills (Agile etc). Agent sounded very keen. So I bang off my CV and hear nothing for a week. After chasing up the agent finally comes back to me with 'We are not continuing your application to Company XXX as the list of previous companies you have on your CV don't match what they are looking for'! The agent was a bit of a rookie in my books as she let slip the name of the company in that mail... so I sent my CV direct to the companies HR department. One technical test, phone interview and face to face and they offer me the role. Best part is that I am getting 15% more than the top rate the agent was offering as no one is taking a cut of my daily rate.

Anyone else managed to get one over em?

Agent - what's your rate
    Me - £80 an hour
    Agent - what's that daily
    Me - £640
    Agent - oh, that's too high... could you do it for £620?
    Me- OK.

Turned out to be a seven hour day... and my contract was hourly based, so that was £88.50 an hour. And I was able to work an 8 hour days if I chose to - £708 a day... First (and only) time I've had my rate negotiated up.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Re: Getting one over on a recruitment agent.

Pardon my ignorance but in the OP's example why would the agent not put you forward for role? What do they gain by doing this to you?

Comment

Originally posted by pimpmycode View Post
        Pardon my ignorance but in the OP's example why would the agent not put you forward for role? What do they gain by doing this to you?
        They're able to put forward a candidate from whom they can gouge a bigger margin.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          They're able to put forward a candidate from whom they can gouge a bigger margin.
          That's exactly the answer I could not get. The excuse for not putting me forward was lame in IMO (and like you say was likely to be because I was asking for the top end rate wise). That's what annoys me about agents, playing god with peoples lives, made the result even more sweeter

Comment

Originally posted by pimpmycode View Post
            Pardon my ignorance but in the OP's example why would the agent not put you forward for role?
            They aren't on the PSL to get you into the client in the first place, and were hoping to worm their way in. It failed, so they fob you off as not being good enough.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

For some reason I read this as getting a leg over a recruitment agent.

Comment

The mistake that the agent made was telling the OP that the client had rejected them.
                Had the agent just said that the role was on hold for a couple of weeks or some otherr BS then OP would be less likely to contact the client directly.

Hang on - why am I giving out tips to agents?!?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  The mistake that the agent made was telling the OP that the client had rejected them.
                  Had the agent just said that the role was on hold for a couple of weeks or some otherr BS then OP would be less likely to contact the client directly.

Hang on - why am I giving out tips to agents?!?
                  What made me mad was that the client did no such thing, my CV never made it that far... The agent rejected me as not suitable with the lamest excuse I have ever heard, still as the saying goes, don't get mad get even

Comment

I'm more surprised the role existed in the first place and that the client didnt just get farm your cv for contacts
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X