• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permies

Where are they? In a team of 9 of which 3 are contractors (and all of us are part timers) there are only 4 people here. 3 contractors and the department chief, and I'm already bored and debating whether to **** off. Lucky for companies that there are such loyal people like contractors :-)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Where are they? In a team of 9 of which 3 are contractors (and all of us are part timers) there are only 4 people here. 3 contractors and the department chief, and I'm already bored and debating whether to **** off. Lucky for companies that there are such loyal people like contractors :-)
    It's 8:30. What are their employment terms, hours, flex time agreements?

If you were working for a big corporate as a wage slave on a pittance while these blowhards contractors types rock up, tell you how to do your job and get paid more than you and wind you,up would you breeze in at 8:30am or slope in at 10 and check your emails until lunch?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It's cold. So if they are anything like the permies at my gig., they will be "staying at home for a few days as I have bad flu." All on full pay, of course.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        It's cold. So if they are anything like the permies at my gig., they will be "staying at home for a few days as I have bad flu." All on full pay, of course.
        If you had to work with Darmy you'd do the same
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Surely this is better than them coming in and standing around talking about whatever mindless tulipe they watched on tv last night, pausing only to obstruct you in your work?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Surely this is better than them coming in and standing around talking about whatever mindless tulipe they watched on tv last night, pausing only to obstruct you in your work?
            This^

Plus a few I'll add from the permies who currently sit around me:
            - discuss their next, and next-next holiday plans
            - discuss their last, and last-last holidays (for the hundredth time)
            - discuss the the wedding of the fat ugly bird in Accounts, and what "outfit" they are going to wear
            - moan about "feeling ill" and maybe having to "go home early to see the doctor" (hint: they won't be in for a few days...)
            - having to take a day off as they had to "wait in for a parcel."
            - having to take a day off as they had to "go to the dentist for a check-up."
            - talk about a nice house they are thinking of buying - but simply can't afford.
            - talk about the dump of a house/flat that they are currently stuck in, and still can't afford.
            - moan about their job all day, yet never do anything about changing it.
            - moan about their "boss" all day.
            - moan about overpaid contractors.
            - loudly discuss the making of "cup cakes."
            - loudly discuss the making of "home-made bread"
            - spend one hour on the office phone per day talking to family.
            - spend one hour on the office phone per day talking to friends.
            - spend one hour on the office phone per day talking to their doctor.
            - spend two hours standing outside per day smoking cigarettes.
            - spend one hour per day coughing their guts up noisily and disturbing the hard-working contractors.
            - spend another one hour on the office phone per day talking to their doctor explaining how much worse they feel and why they still haven't given up smoking.
            - tell everyone how they "are leaving early today as they got in early" (hint: they got in just before 9:30 a.m.)
            - moan about the "stress" of their job.
            - moan about having to produce design documents
            - moan about having to read design documents and sign them off (when the contractors have actually done the design documents for them as they were too stupid to do it themselves.)
            - etc., etc., etc.

Oh, and finally moan about having to bring in more contractors - at huge expense! - as the project is already 6 months behind schedule (and it's only been going for 12 months...)

Apart from that, they are a lovely, dedicated hard-working bunch of people - a treasure to the British economy.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              It's 8:30. What are their employment terms, hours, flex time agreements?

If you were working for a big corporate as a wage slave on a pittance while these blowhards contractors types rock up, tell you how to do your job and get paid more than you and wind you,up would you breeze in at 8:30am or slope in at 10 and check your emails until lunch?
              Well most of them arrive between 7:00 and 7:30 and the rest are in before 9:00 (you'll be expected to do that as well!!!) Its because its a long weekend and school holidays here so everyone has taken a couple of extra days off before and after...

The last bit of the second sentence more than resembles me actually :-)
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                If you had to work with Darmy you'd do the same
                Ha, here's me who has been extended here 4 times already and in my 4th year and another extension coming up, and then there's you :-)

Comment

Ha, here's me who has been extended here 4 times already and in my 4th year and another extension coming up, and then there's you :-)
                  4 years same client.. long project ? You operating outside of IR35 how you wangle that ?
                  I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                    4 years same client.. long project ? You operating outside of IR35 how you wangle that ?
                    By living and working in Germany (even here thats a bit much which is why I run other contracts concurrently) and this one isn't even a project as such, well I don't think it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X