• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

holidays booked but received new contract offer, what to do ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holidays booked but received new contract offer, what to do ?

Hi folks,

I have received an offer which is decent enough to let me consider it.
    New project, new sector and new skills but the rate maybe lower.
    I'm currently earning 450€ but I would accept 370€ for acquiring new lucrative skills being the new project in the banking industry.

The current boring contract is due to end May 15 and I have an unusual 1 month notice, which I am sure that the current company will not negotiate. However, I have heard possible renewals but so far, nothing written.

The problem is that I have my final BSc exam May 20 (distance learning), and holidays already booked and payed for end of June, and the new contract wants me ASAP.

I need the advise of senior contractors. What will you do ?

Thank you for your answers.

How long is the contract?

if its going to run on for a while then advise the client that you are not available until May 21st, you are very interested in the contract but curently are unavailable to work during (holiday period). No need to tell them why unless asked, your simply unavailable for that time.

if they are completely unflexible then you have to decide which is more important but if you start 6 weeks before hand and its a long running contract the client should hopefully be flexible.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If you have a wife then it's a done deal, your going on holiday, if your single then if you can/want to take the hit on losing the holiday do the contract, or try to negotiate with the new client they may be flexible, you have nothing to lose by discussing it with them

Comment

Thanks guys, I really love you and the beautiful minds behind CUK.

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        If you have a wife then it's a done deal, your going on holiday
        I currently have a wife, don't know after signing the contract. No really, I would run the risk, maybe I wouldn't tell immediately because as usual June and July is holiday season, so it is more likely to be expected.

How long is the contract?
        The initial contract should be like 6 months or more. I have to make an "offer"

Comment

Well, my own opinion ...

You can always go for a holiday anytime you want . But you cant always get a brilliant contract any time you want

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            if its going to run on for a while then advise the client that you are not available until May 21st, you are very interested in the contract but curently are unavailable to work during (holiday period). No need to tell them why unless asked, your simply unavailable for that time. if they are completely unflexible then you have to decide which is more important but if you start 6 weeks before hand and its a long running contract the client should hopefully be flexible.
            Spot on, do what chef says.

I've done similar things and it's worked out just fine. If it's a 6 month contract then they won't expect you to work every single day of it....
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Tell them up front. I've always done that (it's happened a few times), and never had any trouble. A few times I've offered to be available remotely if necessary.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Tell them the situation. Remember that as permie managers they will have had touchy feely training, and will want to allow you your well earned holiday. Luckily they are not mercenary gits like us
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Did you not think to mention the holiday when you interviewed?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Did you not think to mention the holiday when you interviewed?
                    Hell no! Wait till they are well and truly on the hook before you tell them about things like that.

I mean, if you ever go an buy a lounge suite at a store which is offering "50% discount" do they tell you up front that it will take 6-8 weeks to ship the damned thing from China?
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X