• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money making idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money making idea

Microsoft today withdrew all support for Windows 98, 98 SE & ME. There are around 70 million users still using these OS's.

On the BBC a reader survey shows 30% of people still using these old OS's.

There must be money providing support, advice and utilities to protect them from security risks.

Does our panel think this is a viable Plan B? Supporting the unsupported?

How (for example) are you going to patch DoS bug in Win98 TCP/IP stack?

Perhaps suggest to pull the network cable?

Comment

That's why AtW, you will always be poor, living alone and pissing your life away tapping on a keyboard. No creativity.

People are using old systems. Microsoft are no longer offering advice or solutions. These people have money and need support.

A 3rd party can provide advice, utilities and guidance for a fee to help protect them.

And all you think of is how some bug in TCP/IP is unpatched. Shows a big lack of understanding of how businesses make money.

PS - Have a look at this http://www.orderwork.co.uk/
      Last edited by DimPrawn; 11 July 2006, 09:48.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        These people have money and need support.
        No Dim, these people dont have money, they dont drive Range Rovers like you, heck if they had any cash they would just upgrade their PC and get Windows XP (fine OS for desktop use) - the kind of support (free and very complicated bug fixing) Win98 and ME users need is something that is not even close to be economically feasible, thats why even Microsoft told them to take a hike.

Comment

Agree with atw. Won't be too many companies still running these OS and the general public are best avoided likethe plague anyway, they want everything for nothing.

PS What Z? you run a PC? Did your ZX81 break down or something?
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Microsoft today withdrew all support for Windows 98, 98 SE & ME. There are around 70 million users still using these OS's.

There must be money providing support, advice and utilities to protect them from security risks.

There is money in providing those 70 million users with pirated copies of XP!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              There is money in providing those 70 million users with pirated copies of XP!

Mailman
              LOL!!!

Will Xp run on a P60?
              http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

I doubt it. They would as sooner reach for the bootleg xp disk, sooner than they call a payline for support.

Comment

Working...
                X