• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've not been fired; Yippee!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not been fired; Yippee!!!

Almost coming up for a year.

Piece of piss this permie lark.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Almost coming up for a year.

Piece of piss this permie lark.
    Yeah, all looking good for now MF. But wait till the bottom falls out of the Mobile Scarecrow market...........
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold that the bird froze and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped a load of hot, steaming dung on it. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of tulip, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung. The cat promptly dug the bird out, killed him and ate him.

Management Lesson: Not everyone who drops tulip on you is your enemy. Not everyone who pulls you out of tulip is your friend. And when you're warm and happy in your pile of tulip, keep your mouth shut!
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold that the bird froze and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped a load of hot, steaming dung on it. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of tulip, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung. The cat promptly dug the bird out, killed him and ate him.

Management Lesson: Not everyone who drops tulip on you is your enemy. Not everyone who pulls you out of tulip is your friend. And when you're warm and happy in your pile of tulip, keep your mouth shut!
        POTD - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em. All the rest are probably contractors who can't hack permiedom.

Comment

Just took a permie role which is a disguised contractor. Looking forward for my first "PAID" Easter break for over a decade

And the 25 days "PAID" holiday...

And the sick "PAID" days off...

Am sure I'll be bored in a year's time and I'll be off again ...

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
              Just took a permie role which is a disguised contractor. Looking forward for my first "PAID" Easter break for over a decade

And the 25 days "PAID" holiday...

And the sick "PAID" days off...

Am sure I'll be bored in a year's time and I'll be off again ...
              I lasted 3 months as a permie. It was, given the circumstances, an exceptional feat of endurance.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I tried a few permies in the past, all ended after a year or little more, due to me not being able to deal with the BS, so I left. After a while I realized, I am a contractor being paid tulip. I am back on the bench again after finishing a contract (this time no tulip) and searching for the next one. I got a call from an agent looking for a permie for a job that absolutely perfectly matches my experience. He was very excited, but I told him I am a "hard core contractor" and will not entertain a premie job. He is still trying to convince me, so I told him tell your client to take me for a 6 month contract to permie. Perhaps the market improved in 6 months, so I can move on.
                My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
                  I tried a few permies in the past, all ended after a year or little more, due to me not being able to deal with the BS, so I left. After a while I realized, I am a contractor being paid tulip. I am back on the bench again after finishing a contract (this time no tulip) and searching for the next one. I got a call from an agent looking for a permie for a job that absolutely perfectly matches my experience. He was very excited, but I told him I am a "hard core contractor" and will not entertain a premie job. He is still trying to convince me, so I told him tell your client to take me for a 6 month contract to permie. Perhaps the market improved in 6 months, so I can move on.
                  I initially contracted from 1997 - 2002 when after a 14 month contract I went contract - permanent and had a foray with management. I lasted maximum 6 months before being out on gardening leave and taking a £10k payout which I used to import my first container and set up a shop.

I then had another crack at it in 2007/2008 when again after 18 months on a contract, I went perm this time into a senior management role which lasted about 14 months before I jacked it as I needed to move to the US & didn't want to & went back as a jobbing contractor.

Then finally and presently, contracted from May last year to November before converting to perm. I'm expected to move to the US in November. I find it gets easier each time and contracting becomes more of a drag.

Third time lucky?

Comment

Working...
                  X