• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regrets, I've had a few...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regrets, I've had a few...

What I'm getting at is what I studied but ended up in IT which I love anyway.

I have a degree in astronomy but never worked as an astronomer, a childhood dream fulfilled and still a bit of a hobby. If I could turn the clock back I'd probably have studied geology (my folks were very disappointed when I didn't do medicine), which I also have an interest in. Would it have made a difference to the career I ended up doing? Probably not but who knows?

If you could have the choice again would you be doing what you do now or would you have followed a different path?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

I have a degree in astronomy but never worked as an astronomer, a childhood dream fulfilled and still a bit of a hobby. If I could turn the clock back I'd probably have studied geology (my folks were very disappointed when I didn't do medicine), which I also have an interest in. Would it have made a difference to the career I ended up doing? Probably not but who knows?

If you could have the choice again would you be doing what you do now or would you have followed a different path?
    I wish I hadn't clicked on your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
      I'll pull the trigger for you, prick.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
        That's not very nice

I think on balance I would have tried harder to get into more of a coding role rather than the support that I actually do. But no no real regrets (other than trying too hard at formal education which has not returned dividends really).

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 4 June 2022, 11:06.

Comment

I'll pull the trigger for you, prick.
            +1
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
              Was there a lot of heavy physics & maths involved in that?
              I wouldn't say it was heavy but although the bulk of the studies was maths it didn't come easy so had to work hard at that but got there in the end.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Honestly no regrets. I love IT. There are a few Suity secrets, but basically my destiny was to be a software engineer.

I have absolutely no fear of coding and have coded absolutely anything from a dos app, to basic os, to web app, to windows driver (those are hard) to embedded app.

I may come across a bit hapless, but that's the Suity charm <taps nose>

I am 36, and have been actively coding since I was 7. My father was a contractor, for over 30 years. So I am a second generation contractor.

I even remember sitting on his knee at younger than 7 (possibly 3 to 4) watching him coding a zx80, and listening to his explanations. I remember his explanation of PI, and integral calculus and the famous area of a circle equation that is derived from it. The thing was I was 5 or less when he explained it, but only recalled it when in a maths lesson at the age of 12 when the teacher asked "does anyone know how to work out the area of a circle". I got to explain on the blackboard, and when the teacher asked me how I knew this stuff I couldn't remember. Then a day or so later,it came back to me.

I have a lot to thank my ole man for, even though I no longer am on speaking terms with him or me ma.

So, no. No regrets. IT for me, all the way. I love it.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 11 June 2022, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                    Don't play it down mate - say it was rock-hard!

I did A-Level Maths & Further Maths (not sure it even exists nowadays). I got an 'A' in Maths but failed Further Maths (just could not get my head around differential equations & flies landing on rotating disks).

Maths & Physics kicks ass. Meeja Studies sucks ass!
                    Science, **** yeah.

I mess around with deep space navigation for kicks these days (and orbital mechnics), geeky I know but get immense satisfaction doing that.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X