• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of an era...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of an era...

...in Sh¡t 'n' Smellit as it's known in the West Country vernacular.

Britain's oldest prison closes

Many moons ago, us young rakes would frequent the Dusthole Bar whose frontage was in full view of the main wing of the gaol.

Here we would spend many a Summer evening stood outside supping pints of Hemmeling whilst making every effort to let the army of slavering convicts watching us from behind the bars opposite know how good that lager tasted.

1983 - was a scorcher too. Must have been torture for them!

For a horrible moment I thought it was going to be Princeton! Phew.

Shepton Mallet is off the map of places I have been, so I don't know it, but the end of an era is always sad. Did many old lags turn up to say goodbye? The article didn't say.

Anyway, what will they use the buildings for now, do you think? Perhaps a new Colditz-themed holiday destination?

Comment

Couldn't they use it to house the massive influx of Romanians and Bulgarians coming next year. Maybe the Mail could start a campaign
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm disgusted using a A daily wail link.

Yours
        Disgusted of Devon.

Seriously its been said before build some super prisons and close these old ones that are hard to run.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X