• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IDS: We've redefined the meaning of cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDS: We've redefined the meaning of cut

Originally posted by IDS
    the “reality is that this country is not cutting welfare”. He added that “all those on benefits will still see cash increases in every year of this Parliament"
    The Government’s Office for Budget Responsibility has shown that the total benefit bill will be almost £18billion higher in 2015-16 than in 2011-12 – the equivalent of about £1,000 for every household. Mr Duncan Smith’s comments are the first public admission that the Government is no longer seeking to cut the welfare budget.

That's going well then.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

It seems anything less than a stonking increase, is now defined as a "cut"

It's nothing new though. In fact I recall the 2005 election where Labour promised humongous increases in public spending. The Tories said that this was unaffordable, but still promised an above inflation increase in public spending.

Labour (successfully) campaigned that Tories were going to deliver "billions of pounds of swingeing cuts" - defining a cut as being anything less than what they had promised.

Comment

well, more votes for ukip then, because ukip has policies of low state spending.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        well, more votes for ukip then, because ukip has policies of low state spending.
        Until they realise their votes come from those on benefits.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

We need benevolent dictators, and we need them now.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Or perhaps abandon government as a failed concept.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Or perhaps abandon government as a failed concept.
              I agree with Xoggoth. Power to the people!
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I agree with Xoggoth. Power to the people!
                Somalia is a shining example. Wonder what their immigration requirements are.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

"We've redefined the meaning of cut."

They can't even spell it right

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    The Government’s Office for Budget Responsibility has shown that the total benefit bill will be almost £18billion higher in 2015-16 than in 2011-12 – the equivalent of about £1,000 for every household. Mr Duncan Smith’s comments are the first public admission that the Government is no longer seeking to cut the welfare budget.

That's going well then.
                    So they allow unlimited immigration for years, supposedly to cut costs; but then they, or rather we, have to pay a huge amount more for indigenous people (and doubtless many immigrants) to sit around doing nothing

All goes to show that this immigration is largely a voting racket, a modern day vastly more extravagent equivalent of the local squire in the 18th century shipping in and bribing a few artisans and smallholders to vote them into Parliament.
                    Last edited by OwlHoot; 30 March 2013, 20:59.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X