• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed

Couldn’t happen to us, could it? After all, Britain is nothing like Cyprus. Cyprus is a small island, far from the “action”, with contented natives who prefer not to notice as more and more of their wealth is bought up by oligarchically rich foreigners. Our banks don’t cripple themselves with out-of-control lending to those natives, presumably on the back of all those foreign investments. Oh.
    The real mistake over the Cyprus bail-out would be to think it can’t happen here in Britain - Telegraph

Time to stash foreign cash under the mattress?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

A blog article here seems to sum up the situation rather well
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Every time a politician states that the Cyprus bank tax will never happen anywhere else, I worry a little bit more.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        A blog article here seems to sum up the situation rather well
        Yep, I like this bit;

I reasoned that European leaders have taxed the current productive generation to the limit of its patience and crippled future generations with debt to the limit of their credibility with the markets.
        Amazingly though, there are still middle class people here in NL who live under the delusion that what the government provides is somehow sufficient to justify how much it takes. They also live under the delusion that Europe's economy can just carry on with even the most parsimonious of governments spending 3% more than their revenues, and that somehow we'll be able to compete with China, India and the newly rising African economies.

I've done the sums; there is no point for me and Lady Tester to work more than 32 hours a week. There's no point saving as inflation and tax will eat up the money, we may as well just pay off most of the mortgage (not all of it, because then we can't get sickness benefits), then go for semi-retirement and accept we'll have to eat meatballs and drive second hands cars (which isn't a bad life at all). Basically, if you're ambitious, either get out of here or get a numbered account in Switzerland.

Europe is ****ed.
        Last edited by Mich the Tester; 1 April 2013, 18:29.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Banks will be bailed out at any cost, raid savings, raid pensions, harvest babies for organs, you name it, they will do it.

Doomed indeed.

Comment

Mayday soon innit.

I suspect the protests might be a bit larger this year.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Don't worry. It will never happen here.

The Bank of England is the governments "Lender of Last Resort" and will always just print money to fund government borrowing.

Much in the same way as the Zimbabwean government never defaulted on it's loans due to it's ability to print money.

Printing money is the safety mechanism that Cyprus didn't have.

PS : The end result is pretty similar for you and me though ....

Comment

The Newsnight extract from the comments section of that blog made for interesting viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqDnnzY_tU8
                In possession of faculties. Almost.

Comment

Working...
                X