• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never having tried it before

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never having tried it before

I bought a jar of artichoke antipasti to see what I'm missing. So what's the point?

Didn't actually taste of anything just a texture actually. Did I just buy the wrong thing or is that it?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I bought a jar of artichoke antipasti to see what I'm missing. So what's the point?

Didn't actually taste of anything just a texture actually. Did I just buy the wrong thing or is that it?
    It was in a jar.

Nuff said.

Not a big fan of artichoke, but sometimes if you go to the right Italian you can get summat awesome. Out of a jar I find it distorts the taste.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      It was in a jar.

Nuff said.

Not a big fan of artichoke, but sometimes if you go to the right Italian you can get summat awesome. Out of a jar I find it distorts the taste.
      Aye, swimming in oil and was expecting better I suppose. Is it difficult to prep yourself?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Aye, swimming in oil and was expecting better I suppose. Is it difficult to prep yourself?
        Dunno, will have to peruse the books or the net.

Came across this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...a-recipe/index.

Not summat I bother with as I'm not the biggest fan.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Artichokes are quite tasty, but I was slightly put off them after finding a large wasp in one I had in a Mayfair restaurant
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Artichokes are quite tasty, but I was slightly put off them after finding a large wasp in one I had in a Mayfair restaurant
            Did they charge you extra?
            Me, me, me...

Comment

fresh they taste fantastic.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Oh ClipHead!!!

<canned laughter>
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

You're not actually supposed to eat it you know. You are supposed to put it in your glass fronted kitchen cupboard so people can see you are properly middle class.

Comment

They're supposed to be an aphrodisiac, according to this page

Artichokes were introduced to Sicily by the Arabs in the ninth and tenth centuries and their virtues were already appreciated by the ancient Romans. In 77 A.D., the Roman naturalist Pliny the Elder (23–79 A.D.) mentioned it in his Naturalis Historia under the name cardus.

They were thought to enhance sexual prowess and appeal. The way they are consumed is also evocative of love; peeling away the leaves was associated with stripping away the inhibitions, and possibly clothing.

Catherine of Medicis was particularly fond of artichokes, a passion that was considered improper, given their reputation for stimulating the libido. The artichoke became popular in France when she moved there upon her marriage to Henry II.

The ancient Romans used to preserve artichokes in honey and vinegar, and season them with cumin, so that they could consume them year round. It was not uncommon at that time to mix sweet and sour flavors in the same dish.

Today, artichokes are consumed raw, in salads, or cooked, in risotto, pasta or as a creamy bread spread on crostini. Lamb preparations in Liguria and Sardinia include artichokes, as do a variety of Jewish-Italian dishes, such as the wonderful Carciofi alla Giudia. There is also an Italian artichoke liqueur, known as Cynar.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X