• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Motivation' for a gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Motivation' for a gig

Three months as a permie and I'd forgotten about this. I have to write a short 'motivation' saying why I want the test manager gig at a big firm in central NL. Why? What do they gain from making candidates write bollocks? Is it to encourage people to put outright lies in their CVs? FFS, the motivation is simple; "I run a testing business. You want something tested. I will do that for you and you will pay me for it." Any other 'motivation' story is just dishonest, surely?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

ja
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

They want to check you can write.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by JR View Post
        They want to check you can write pages of bollocks.
        FTFY
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well they have to read the tulip so I would humour them and write it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Testes View Post
            Three months as a permie and I'd forgotten about this. I have to write a short 'motivation' saying why I want the test manager gig at a big firm in central NL. Why? What do they gain from making candidates write bollocks? Is it to encourage people to put outright lies in their CVs? FFS, the motivation is simple; "I run a testing business. You want something tested. I will do that for you and you will pay me for it." Any other 'motivation' story is just dishonest, surely?
            Is that for MBA? I've noticed that they put that line on every e-mail they send out and personally I can't see the point, we're contractors so there's only one answer which I think you've succinctly answered with above
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Just scan a £50 note and send that.

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
                Just scan lots of £50 notes and send that.
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Apply the plumber test: would it work if you're looking for a plumber?

You want a shower installed. You ask for estimates from 3 plumbers.
                  OK so far.
                  You ask each plumber to write a motivation letter explaining why he wants to install your shower.
                  Can I be a fly on the wall to hear their answers, please?
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
                  X