• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you live on £7.50 a day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you live on £7.50 a day?

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...e-on-53-a-week

should Dunkers do it?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    He shouldn't need to as he has a job, paying someone just enough to survive is the incentive for the claimant to do the same.

£53 is plenty for food if all your other costs are met.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I like the ready-to-use email template for the hard-of-thinking

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        He shouldn't need to as he has a job, paying someone just enough to survive is the incentive for the claimant to do the same.

Lots of people on benefits are actually working.

The idea of making politicians live on this amount is to ensure they understand properly how their policies effect people.

There have been several programs over the years where celebrities including former MPs have lived with the poor members of society whether they are pensioners or families on benefits where one of them has a disability.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

WHS

Pasta, potatoes, market veg, just avoid processed food (apart from a few cheap tinned beans).

I'd just live off wine boxes personally...
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The idea of making politicians live on this amount is to ensure they understand properly how their policies effect people.

There have been several programs over the years where celebrities including former MPs have lived with the poor members of society whether they are pensioners or families on benefits where one of them has a disability.
            Then the 'jobs' that exist in the UK don't pay enough, why should the tax payer subsidise firms that are either greedy of not viable.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Which just goes to show there's something fundamentally broken in our economy.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Then the 'jobs' that exist in the UK don't pay enough, why should the tax payer subsidise firms that are either greedy of not viable.
                well the polish etc are happy to work for that.

If the electorate hadn't repeatedly voted in new lie the wages would have gone up. Instead 'new' labour imported cheap labour and kept the unemployed on benefits through a mini boom.

Work fair, benefit cuts and immigration controls are the only way out IMHO.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Agreed.

This is why I don't like workfare. I have no problem with unemployed people volunteering or being told to volunteer for a charity but I have an issue with Poundland etc being given a worker for free. Lots of people have done some sort of menial work throughout their lives and the people who tend to get caught by these policies are actually useful i.e. know how to stack a shelf.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

He said he could do it. Now it's up to him to prove it, if he expects anything he says in future to be believed.

But of course he doesn't actually care whether he's believed or not. He's just a bully boy making sure he and his cronies are all right, and sod the peasantry.

Comment

Working...
                    X