• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alles ganz klar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alles ganz klar

Spent 2 weeks calling a German letting agent trying to organise somewhere to rent in Guetersloh. Copious emails sent, calls made, voicemails left and countless broken promises to call me back. Every time I ask " do you even want my business" the response is always "yes".

It fleetingly crossed my mind, after being spat at by the agency for being an immigrant and "should pay local tax" after discussing the 183 day rule with them, that maybe, just maybe the agent was giving me the run around because I'm English. Nah, silly Suity, don't be daft lad.

So I contacted the agency once more, giving the number of the letting agency, my contact there and forwarded the mountain of unanswered emails. Bizarrely when he called them he got straight through and was able to speak directly with my contact.

She explained the problem is that I'm not a native German speaker and none of her landlords want to let to a foreigner.

Fair enough, but (I asked him) what is her excuse for not returning my calls or emails? Deadly silence on the call.

Is it because I'm English as well?

More silence.

So it's basically racism then?

Oh that's a harsh word.

Can you suggest a more appropriate one for being discriminated against because of nationality?

Suffice it to say, hotels and motels are expensive and coupled with the travel costs would make it ridiculously expensive and mean that rather than turning a modest profit and recovering my position and restocking the Warchest I will effectively be treading water for 3 months (arguably better than sliding backwards but still)

My first taste of being an immigrant, and it's not all that nice.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

It sounds like you are tee-ing ab a story about how you left because it wasn't "financially viable" to cover up being let-go in you first fortnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
      It sounds like you are tee-ing ab a story about how you left because it wasn't "financially viable" to cover up being let-go in you first fortnight.
      Oh ok then.

Comment

your fame proceeded you?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Can you suggest a more appropriate one for being discriminated against because of nationality?
          Xenophobia?

Comment

You ever been to Scotland?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              You ever been to Scotland?
              Yes. Fair point. The common theme here is the English part.

Comment

Herman doesn't share the average British persons view of the Britain as an upper echelon European country and the British as superior to everyone else.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Herman doesn't share the average British persons view of the Britain as an upper echelon European country and the British as superior to everyone else.
                  I'm far from average bud

Since trying to contact the managing director my contact is now answering the phone to me and has no recollection of stating my lack of Germanness as being a hurdle. It's as if she never said it

Rather, now it's because they assumed I wanted to being sy02/3/4/5/6 with me to share this tiny room. Having re-read ever single email I sent to them I have no idea where they got this from.

So it's because I'm English, but now it's not, and it's because they assumed I was coming mob handed, but I'm not and never was and never even discussed my family.

I wonder what racist / made up bollox is coming next

Comment

Be honest now Suity, did you phone up all cocky, going on about 2 world wars and 1 world cup, and whistling the music from The Great Escape whenever they tried to speak? Go on, you did, didn't you?

Comment

Working...
                    X