• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rank Beginner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rank Beginner

Chaps

I'm a rank beginner at this contracting game. I've worked in IT sales/presales support for years putting together electronic document management, variable data printing and print accounting systems for industry, the NHS and Government. Is there a particular market sector I would do well to chase and are there any agents out there who deal in my particular area or accountants in Hampshire worth looking up. Any advice on the pitfalls etc of contracting all gratefully received.
    FP Docuflow

When you say you are a "rank beginner" does that mean you whiff a bit ? It is always best when contracting to smell good, unless you want a gig in local government.

Comment

Start with the first timers' guide here and also the one located at http://www.prc.org.uk. They cover virtually all of the basics. Once you've read and digested those, feel free to come back with specific questions.

Comment

Agents are necessary but sh*ts
        Don't talk to S4
        Parasol
        Only give references when an offer's on the table
        No they haven't got a special deal with the IR that says you can claim £75 per night regardless.
        Fox hunting is class-war
        <pick name from member list> is fat/gay/bald/got tits/earns nothing/ a religious nutter
        Most people on here are bitter towards permiedom after turning to contracting after being made redundant (and haven't looked back)
        Blair's a tw@t
        Grammers important.
        Outsourcing / offshoring is bad. Oh dream about the period leading up to Y2K. Things will never be the same.

Have I missed anything?

Oh yeah. House prices are about to crash.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

P.S... We're doomed...
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W
            Agents are necessary but sh*ts
            Don't talk to S4
            Parasol
            Only give references when an offer's on the table
            No they haven't got a special deal with the IR that says you can claim £75 per night regardless.
            Fox hunting is class-war
            <pick name from member list> is fat/gay/bald/got tits/earns nothing/ a religious nutter
            Most people on here are bitter towards permiedom after turning to contracting after being made redundant (and haven't looked back)
            Blair's a tw@t
            Grammers important.
            Outsourcing / offshoring is bad. Oh dream about the period leading up to Y2K. Things will never be the same.

Have I missed anything?

Oh yeah. House prices are about to crash.
            Grammar's

Comment

And dont mention Finland.

You cant be too careful these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W
                Don't talk to S4
                Or S3
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Thanks

All your comments are greatly appreciated. It does my heart good to see I've landed amongst a group as enlightened as me. I think I'm going to enjoy this !
                  FP Docuflow

Comment

No offence to the OP but is there anyway we can get a bloody big banner on the main page along the lines of :

"!IF YOU WANT TO BE A CONTRACTOR READ THIS FIRST!"

and a link to the first timers section?
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X