• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding the next contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding the next contract.

Hi,

My question is would Contract Project Managers find it useful to have someone searching for a new job for them before their current contract finishes?

I am the wife of a contract IT Project Manager in the UK and for past 4 years have been responsible for finding his contracts. Due to the amount of work required in finding a new contract it would be almost impossible for my husband to do this whilst still working, resulting in a delay in getting his next position and hence loss of revenue.

I am a graduate who worked for over 15 years in technical sales/customer service but have been a stay at home mum for the past few years. I would like to start earning some pin money and was wondering if this would be a way to make a small wage.

Would this be a service people would be willing to pay for?

Any feedback or suggestions you have would be great.

Many thanks.

Hmmm ... maybe ... the problem is that most contractors already do this and have therefore proved to themselves that they do not need someone else to do it for them.

I would worry about the fact agents are used to speaking to candidates directly and might lose interest if there is anything unusual about a candidate.

What would you do that I do not already do myself?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by JoannaE View Post
      Hi,

My question is would Contract Project Managers find it useful to have someone searching for a new job for them before their current contract finishes?

I am the wife of a contract IT Project Manager in the UK and for past 4 years have been responsible for finding his contracts. Due to the amount of work required in finding a new contract it would be almost impossible for my husband to do this whilst still working, resulting in a delay in getting his next position and hence loss of revenue.

I am a graduate who worked for over 15 years in technical sales/customer service but have been a stay at home mum for the past few years. I would like to start earning some pin money and was wondering if this would be a way to make a small wage.

Many thanks.
      You mean, kinda like a recruitment agent?
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks.
        Sorry but that isn't generally true and seems a very situational problem, not one that affects many people. We all do it and have done it for decades in some cases. Some roles I have been in have been incredibly hectic and yes taking calls has been a little difficult at times and couldn't spend the time searching jobserve that I would have liked but that is just the nature of the beast. I made as much time as I could and got on with it. If it meant I hit the bench then so be it. It is pointless looking less than 2 weeks before you leave really anyway so shouldn't really put you back much if you can't search in those 2 weeks.

Might be a problem in a bad gig but it isn't generally an issue.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I kind of agree with the others i.e. not sure how much you can add to the actual getting a contract bit.
          What you could do to add value (and hubby's co can pay you for this) is research markets and emerging new business opportunities, technologies (with a view to geting on training courses), how best to market his cv, cv refreshes etc. Maybe you know other people who would pay you for this service?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Most agencies will pay a referrers fee, so there maybe a possible win-win in that you could offer your services and the candidate who would like the initial search / rate discussion taken care of and only be ready to present themselves for interview could use your service but for free.
            Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

I can understand what you are saying but from the experience I have had there is an awful lot of work required in finding the next contract which is not easy to do if you are still working. I suppose it all depends on how much down time you want between contracts - I like my husband to have as little as possible!

Comment

Not acting as a recruiter but just someone doing the leg work getting in first with the CV, impossible to do if you are still working. I also know it can be demoralising getting lots of rejections and having to constantly scan the job sites.

Comment

I can understand what you are saying but from the experience I have had there is an awful lot of work required in finding the next contract which is not easy to do if you are still working. I suppose it all depends on how much down time you want between contracts - I like my husband to have as little as possible!
                  Is there really though? I usually get an inMail from LinkedIN, a follow-up chat to discuss the role, read the spec - say yes or no. Have interview then maybe have a ding-dong about rates?

Or I spend 15 minutes on jobswerve, attach CV to application then go-to follow-up chat.

Unless you're covering a large geographic area I can't see how you could step in to step 2 - as if a recruiter wanted to ask about experience etc you wouldn't be able to answer this. Maybe your husbands skills are very niche or doesn't get much follow-up from chasing roles?
                  Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Not acting as a recruiter but just someone doing the leg work getting in first with the CV, impossible to do if you are still working. I also know it can be demoralising getting lots of rejections and having to constantly scan the job sites.
                    No it's not. Why ask for advice and then not listen to a raft of answers all saying the same.

If you can't take the demoralisation (that affects salespeople, small companies looking for business and permie job hunters) then you need to grow some. It's life.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X