• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possibly being made redundant - good opportunity ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly being made redundant - good opportunity ?

Hi,
    It looks like I might be made redundant with immediate effect next week.
    I have had a couple of permanent interviews, but feel maybe its a good opportunity to find my first contract instead.

I have 6 years C#, ASP.NET experience and fluent in the latest technologies and design patterns.

Its just a little daunting as there looks like there are only a couple of unique roles to apply for at the moment.

I would have thought April was busy with new budgets. Is this not the case or is this roughly what I should expect to see?

Is finding your first contract generally the hardest?

Originally posted by dbairduk View Post
    I have had a couple of permanent interviews, but feel maybe its a good opportunity to find my first contract instead.
    I take it that means that you've looked into what it's like, read the first timers guides, looked at ways of marketing yourself, dealing with agents, started saving for when you're out of work, brushed up on the legal side of things, understand IR35 and it's implications, know about opting out of the agency regulations, and dealing with sarky buggers on here....

I have 6 years C#, ASP.NET experience and fluent in the latest technologies and design patterns.
    Sounds like you're perfect for the role. I can't imagine that there are many contractors who can accurately profess to being fluent in the latest technologies and design patterns, so jump in.

Its just a little daunting as there looks like there are only a couple of unique roles to apply for at the moment.
    That's contracting for you - sometimes it's booming, sometimes it's not.

I would have thought April was busy with new budgets. Is this not the case or is this roughly what I should expect to see?
    Not really, although people will tell you otherwise. Every month there's money to be spent if the need is high enough - I've been told constantly about how new budgets appear in April and that's when the spend starts, but I've not experienced it personally.

Is finding your first contract generally the hardest?
    No - finding your second contract is generally the hardest. By then, you see yourself as an experienced contractor, and are more savvy about dealing with agents and what rates to expect. As such, you then price yourself out of the market because you typically have no meaningful track record.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Don't forget to read the basics link as well as the newbie guides..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-business.html

Projects usually have an agreed budget and will spend that budget on heads when they need it irrespective of financial year end, xmas, holiday season or whatever. Companies do not hold off on projects to save them/ earn them more money just to wait until after xmas or a new budget year.

Though times are pretty tulip in general at the moment so no time is a good time at present.

Is that skillset not typical Bob territory?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Is that skillset not typical Bob territory?
        .Net is booming - one of the most in-demand skillsets
        Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

I have lead teams of contractors as a permanent. So working alongside contractors for the last 2 years has given me quite an insight.

I haven't a clue what it will be like dealing with agents, but I expect that I will soon get used to that.

I have looked into IR35 but cant say I understand it all totally. I would probably seek some professional advice for my first few contracts to ensure I was complying with IR35. Is this always dictated by the contract alone?
          I take it I should always chose to opt out of agency conduct regulations due to IR35?

I have been working my way through the FAQ's and guides. I think a good accountant is vital who other services like legal advice on contacts.

I have 2 years commercial Java and spring experience also, but this was a few years ago. I would be looking at 45k roles if permanent.

Also does it matter that its typical bob territory if there is plenty of work? No one would be doing it otherwise so maybe it speaks for its self.

Comment

I take it I should always chose to opt out of agency conduct regulations due to IR35?
            No! Don't opt out - the agency conduct regulations have nothing to do with IR35. Read this post for an explanation of why not.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              No! Don't opt out - the agency conduct regulations have nothing to do with IR35. Read this post for an explanation of why not.
              Ok, got all the opt in and opt out now. It was a bit confusing to start as just googled it

Comment

Ok, got all the opt in and opt out now. It was a bit confusing to start as just googled it
                Snag is, it's all about to change again... Welcome to our world.

I really advise you to go over to www.pcg.org.uk download their Guide to Freelancing and read it carefully.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Snag is, it's all about to change again... Welcome to our world.

I really advise you to go over to www.pcg.org.uk download their Guide to Freelancing and read it carefully.
                  Cheers, I will do. Is it worth joining PCG in your experience?

Comment

Cheers, I will do. Is it worth joining PCG in your experience?
                    I'm probably not the one to offer an unbiased opinion on that - but yes, PCG Plus membership is a complete no brainer for any contractor.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X