• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't perform like I used to 10 years ago

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't perform like I used to 10 years ago

I've noticed in last year or so my ability to grasp technical concepts, design decent data models or just get my head around any new system and data flows has gone down big time, things just don't synch in. Over the last few days I've been working on re-writting it an existing ETL process and I'm struggling with it, complex stuff but nothing I have not handled before. Looking back though 10 years I was working on more complex stuff and never had a problem.

Have others found the same as they got older, I can't tell if Im just getting slower to learn as I've got older or just had enough of IT and so bored it my brain is blocking it out.
    Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 4 April 2013, 21:38.
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    I've noticed in last year or so my ability to grasp technical concepts, design decent data models or just get my head around any new system and data flows has gone down big time, things just don't synch in. Over the last few days I've been working on re-writting it an existing ETL process and I'm struggling with it, complex stuff but nothing I have not handled before. Looking back though 10 years I was working on more complex stuff and never had a problem.

Have others found the same as they got older, I can't tell if Im just getting slower to learn as I've got older or just had enough of IT and so bored it my brain is blocking it out.
    If you are noticing some brain fog, you maybe having some health issues? Am being serious, look at your diet, are you getting the correct nutrition, have some multi-vitamin tablets, quit processed and sugar food, and if you are smoking/drinking much give it a rest and you'll feel a lot better...

Comment

Saying the above, I always have brain fog in the winter and it gets better by spring time lol, but this year winter is not letting go ...

Comment

Time to take old yello' out into the yard and retire him with 'onour...

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
          Time to take old yello' out into the yard and retire him with 'onour...
          I don't believe in that... I think the issue could be total boredom and disinterest, solution for that is take a break or find something else that interest you... or it maybe a health issue.

Mental alertness and sharpness is an important health indicator, do not ignore it
          Last edited by SandyD; 4 April 2013, 22:17.

Comment

When did you last have a holiday? They are critical to remaining alert and productive.

Are you at the same client? time to change if you've overstayed your welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
              I can't tell if Im just getting slower to learn as I've got older or just had enough of IT and so bored it my brain is blocking it out.
              I think the latter may be the "problem" - some days I'm so fed up of IT that I really just cannot be arsed. Sometimes, that lasts the whole contract. The last time it did, I turned down the six month extension, had a seven month chilling break and went back refreshed.

Maybe look for a break, or something different for a bit. When I was permie and the place got me down, I volunteered to do graduate recruitment events - I had no choice there but to be bright, cheery and positive, which then gave me a bit more oomph at work for the next couple of months until the next event.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

With you on the boredom bit.

Problem is, we don't right interesting routines any more.

More time is spent plugging in and configuring black box framework components and then going through the needle in a haystack job of trying to fix them when they inevitably don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Maybe look for a break, or something different for a bit. When I was permie and the place got me down, I volunteered to do graduate recruitment events - I had no choice there but to be bright, cheery and positive, which then gave me a bit more oomph at work for the next couple of months until the next event.
                  This is what I noticed myself, sometimes if I mentally force myself to be bright and cheery, it works and I get the oomph for a while..
                  Oh also exercise works wonders, go for a walk or if you have a gym or a pool near work, its worth going there at lunch break/before or after work, you'll be surprise how it will help.

Comment

Lay off the booze, exercise, eat healthy, get an early night. Do that for a few weeks.

It could also be a more serious health issue so get checked out.

Failing that, nice long holiday and a new gig, perhaps in a different area?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X