• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great way to spend a Sunday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great way to spend a Sunday

Not

A client wants a Wordpress website, sure no problem what look and feel have a look at some themes.

So they want to see a selection on themes installed on their domain with test data, a complete pain in the arse but set up a number of them to look at tomorrow.

What's the chances they'll want some other framework like Joomla

Somebody's gonna faint when they get the invoice
    Me, me, me...

Funny, I've just been reading a book to find out how to convert my website into Wordpress (I'm going to buy a theme from the site you recommended CH).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Funny, I've just been reading a book to find out how to convert my website into Wordpress (I'm going to buy a theme from the site you recommended CH).
      If you want to test out I have several I could send you. If you want live do the decent thing
      Me, me, me...

Comment

I'm after a nice, clean theme but without any flash graphics (and of course I'll cough up for the live site)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I spent mine with the family hiking around Ullswater. Just had 3 pints of Cumbrian ale to rehydrate and believe it or not actually got a bit of sunburn today.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            I spent mine with the family hiking around Ullswater. Just had 3 pints of Cumbrian ale to rehydrate and believe it or not actually got a bit of sunburn today.
            Spent mine driving 450 miles north. Not the most fun I've ever had.

Now need to see why a server died on Wednesday night. Chaos monkey testing worked fine so everything recovered itself auto-magically but I still want to know what the problem was.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Not

A client wants a Wordpress website, sure no problem what look and feel have a look at some themes.

So they want to see a selection on themes installed on their domain with test data, a complete pain in the arse but set up a number of them to look at tomorrow.

What's the chances they'll want some other framework like Joomla

Somebody's gonna faint when they get the invoice
              Ohmygod, not Joomla! Please! Every self-professed Linux type I come across down the pub tells anyone who wants to listen that it's the bees' knees.

On the positive side I managed to persuade my Plan B partner that MS Comic Sans ain't a good font. He still likes it but I have conveyed to him the fact that anyone in the graphics trade will laugh at it.

Actually quite a cool day here. I chilled out for most of the day, it was sunny in the afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed Jarvis Cocker's show on R6 with a David Attenborough Special - well worth a listen and available on iPlayer for the next 7 days.

The Lyre bird imitating a chainsaw was something quite special.

P.S. Still light at 8pm here let spring commence!
              Last edited by Sysman; 7 April 2013, 20:13.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Ohmygod, not Joomla! Please! Every self-professed Linux type I come across down the pub tells anyone who wants to listen that it's the bees' knees.
                Joomla's not so bad. Had to create a graphic logo for a client site last week and the typeface they wanted - comic sans. They don't want to listen I don't care it's all billable.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Joomla's not so bad. Had to create a graphic logo for a client site last week and the typeface they wanted - comic sans. They don't want to listen I don't care it's all billable.
                  I must admit it was the type of person recommending it down the pub that put me off the product.

The CMS product I really refused to work with was Typo3, which being a German thing was popular here. When the default admin password was a reference to the Bible verse that my father in his religiously cranky latter years used to quote at me, I didn't want anything whatsoever to do with the product.

Initially I was all prepared to convert old documentation from the original Star Office format to the then current OpenOffice, or Word, or whatever, and I had the tools to do that, but the religious arguments on their (private, not accepted on Usenet) made me say a big NO.

Sorry but I don't deal with religious types who want to promote their faith through a technical product. I say that as someone whose family is deeply religious. I can respect their beliefs as long as they don't push it on me, but pushing it on strangers is totally out of order.

P.S. Now there's a Sabbath thread for ya

Thinks it's time for the last pint or two in the pub.
                  Last edited by Sysman; 7 April 2013, 21:11.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    ...I say that as someone whose family is deeply religious. I can respect their beliefs as long as they don't push it on me, but pushing it on strangers is totally out of order.
                    +1
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X