• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployment watch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment watch

Further rise in UK unemployment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5171932.stm

"The number of people out of work in the UK has risen again, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has reported."

I blame the legacy of the Tories. Only hope is to vote in New Labour again. And again. And again.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      From the sidebar on that BEEB page:

Economic growth revised upward
      Further rise in UK jobless total
      Energy bills push up UK inflation
      UK trade gap expands to £5.75bn
      Surprise dip in UK manufacturing

The only surprise about a dip in UK manufacturing is that we still actually make something in this country.

Economic growth revised upward? Must be all those industrious Polish plumbers.
      The last “manufacture” I visited was in Dorset. They were unpacking power consumption meters made in Taiwan and sticking Made in England badges on them.
      HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

More immigrants is the only answer
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
          The last “manufacture” I visited was in Dorset. They were unpacking power consumption meters made in Taiwan and sticking Made in England badges on them.

I'm on a manufacturing site right now. All UK manufactured product shipped all over the world. Client is also one of the most profitable companies in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
            I'm on a manufacturing site right now. All UK manufactured product shipped all over the world. Client is also one of the most profitable companies in the UK.
            Only a matter of time before they move to a lower cost base

Comment

Yes, the UK make the best military hardware. Can't beat a bomb with made in Britain on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                Only a matter of time before they move to a lower cost base

They have sites all over the world but the one in the UK is the most efficient (ie automated)

Comment

They have sites all over the world but the one in the UK is the most efficient (ie automated)
                  But the actual manufacture is only one part of the equation

Transport
                  Raw Materials
                  Energy costs
                  H&S bollux

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                    But the actual manufacture is only one part of the equation

Transport
                    Raw Materials
                    Energy costs
                    H&S bollux

I agree. The manufacturing models have changed as plant automation has increased (meaning labour requirements have diminished) and companies have moved towards locating either close to the source of their raw materials or to their customers. Also, as we've seen with offshoring, cheap labour cetainly doesn't mean quality product.

Comment

Working...
                    X