• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I intend to break the law

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I intend to break the law

Twelve years ago I was give a fixed penalty for speeding on a motorway. My speed was recorded at 76 mph, it was late at night, good conditions and few cars around. When I handed my documents in at the police station, even the duty constable was gob-smacked. Since then I’ve been lucky; until now. I’ve now received a notice that my car was caught speeding by a fixed camera three days ago. (must be the new electronic cameras) The recorded speed 36mph. This time on an urban dual carriageway. Apart from the fact it is highly unlikely that is was 36mph (more like 31-32mph) because I know the camera and I always check my speed passing known cameras; I feel it pointless keeping a reasonable speed in future. If I am going to be fined and have penalty points I may as well travel at 85mph on motorways and 48mph in 30mph dual carriageways because the penalty is just the same.
    HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
    Twelve years ago I was give a fixed penalty for speeding on a motorway. My speed was recorded at 76 mph, it was late at night, good conditions and few cars around. When I handed my documents in at the police station, even the duty constable was gob-smacked. Since then I’ve been lucky; until now. I’ve now received a notice that my car was caught speeding by a fixed camera three days ago. (must be the new electronic cameras) The recorded speed 36mph. This time on an urban dual carriageway. Apart from the fact it is highly unlikely that is was 36mph (more like 31-32mph) because I know the camera and I always check my speed passing known cameras; I feel it pointless keeping a reasonable speed in future. If I am going to be fined and have penalty points I may as well travel at 85mph on motorways and 48mph in 30mph dual carriageways because the penalty is just the same.
    I sympathise. But, in the light of your recent clocking, isn't there a risk that you will actually be done for, say, 95mph in the 70, and 55mph in the 30 zone?

Comment

I've never had a speeding ticket in my life, or any sort of road accident (have about 20+ years no claims).

And I drive like a complete ****.

Comment

Go to court - even if you intend to enter guilty plea, this would give you same "punishment" but ensure that scamere partnership dont get the money (which they do if you pay penalty notice) and also it would increase their costs: the whole unfair system is based on self-incrimination and it ain't right.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          I've never had a speeding ticket in my life, or any sort of road accident (have about 20+ years no claims).

And I drive like a complete ****.
          Yry looking on your rear-view mirror, you'll probably see plenty of accidents.
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

7 years no claims here and never an accident or penalty for anything.

I ALWAYS drive at least 10-15mph above the limit if the conditions are safe. After all I want to actually get somewhere in the end.
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I used to consistantly drive too fast - as in over the limit not too fast for the road - but since getting a car with cruise control I seem to have mellowed somewhat. Stick it at 70 and relax. Makes driving much less effort and saves me a fortune in fuel as well
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                I used to consistantly drive too fast - as in over the limit not too fast for the road - but since getting a car with cruise control I seem to have mellowed somewhat. Stick it at 70 and relax. Makes driving much less effort and saves me a fortune in fuel as well
                Fined with Cruise Control
                HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
                  We clocked a stationary wall at 58mph - now that's motoring
                  Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Tele-Traffic, the UK manufacturer of the LTI 20.20 reject the possibility of getting erroneous speed reading from a moving vehicle. Frank Garratt, Managing Director of Tele-Traffic, says that his guns are fitted with a technology which will detect any slip effect from a moving vehicle.
                    But, then again, he would say that, wouldn't he?

Comment

Working...
                    X