• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving outlook emails from 2010 to 2007 (PST disabled)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving outlook emails from 2010 to 2007 (PST disabled)

Hi all,

Have been moved between two companies (but still within the same parent company, different email accounts though). I have loads of emails that I still need from the one company that used Outlook 2010 (they seem to have used PST files). The company that I am moving to doesn't use PST files (import PST is disabled), but uses OST files (within Outlook 2007).

Is there any way I can transfer from PST to OST? IT will not help and have suggested that I simply fwd my emails...yeah right!!

Am I screwed?

Essentially I need access to my old emails, so just need access to these either within Outlook or some other way. I will shortly lose my old laptop so in the worst scenario will have to burn a copy of the PST file onto CD...

PC
    Last edited by PharmaContractor; 9 April 2013, 12:21. Reason: more info

With the import PST disabled you could be stuck. Some companies disable the import as it is a potential route for emails containing dodgy attachments etc. Ost files are the outlook offline data files. Linky

Its disappointing that the IT Team aren't more proactive in assisting the is a tool for importing PST Files that would make it very simple. My advice would be to get whoever signs your time sheets to escalate the requirement for your mail to be moved over. It would be up to you to demonstrate the business case...
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

I might be being a bit thick here, but couldn't you write a rule to forward all the mails you need?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

As an ex email admin I will ask the first question:

Do you need ALL your emails or SOME of them?

Nowadays its way to easy to store emails that you no longer need so this should be a good time to prune the unwanted, once you have the ones you know you want to keep it can be as simple as dragging emails onto your desktop, and then dragging them into your new Outlook
        Insert Witty Signature Here

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          I might be being a bit thick here, but couldn't you write a rule to forward all the mails you need?
          But don't you need to have done it before you got those emails? So you need a time machine. I might know someone who can help there.....

or export to MBX (google free utility to do so)
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            That's what the IT bods advised But that would mean I have a few 1000 emails sitting in my new inbox for me to sift thru and file.

I agree email should not be retained where possible but due to the complexity and archaic decision making (or lack of) I like to keep emails for future reference to check what was said/agreed in the past.

The person that signs of my timesheets I have never met, has nothing to do with my work and would not really give a damn.

Comment

Not sure how Outlook and/or PST works, but whenever I need to move emails from one account to another (assuming both are IMAP), I setup Thunderbird with both accounts, and drag all emails from one account's Inbox to the other account's Inbox (works for Sent + others folders, too)

Might be best selecting a subset at a time, e.g. say a few hundred rather than a few thousand.
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                But don't you need to have done it before you got those emails? So you need a time machine. I might know someone who can help there.....

or export to MBX (google free utility to do so)
                Thanks IF. You refering to this: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync ??

So I export all my email to Gmail?

Comment

Working...
                X