• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have we done Thatcher now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we done Thatcher now?

Or are there still a bunch of rich guilt ridden leftie hypocrites out there pretending they give a s**t about anyone else?
    Or are you all too busy building systems to help employers reduce their staffing needs?
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 9 April 2013, 12:06.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Unfortunately not. Not as long as we are still living with the society (yes Virginia there is such a thing) that she created; and as long as the government thinks it can replicate her seeming economic success by applying more ostensible Thatcherism without having any access to the tools that really worked for Thatcher (because they're sold off already).

It's not history, I'd let that lie. It's the ugly present.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
      Unfortunately not. Not as long as we are still living with the society (yes Virginia there is such a thing) that she created; and as long as the government thinks it can replicate her seeming economic success by applying more ostensible Thatcherism without having any access to the tools that really worked for Thatcher (because they're sold off already).

So would you roll the clock back to the 70s? Re nationalise industries, re employ millions to do the jobs now done by computer, return powers to Trade Unions and tax anyone earning over £50 grand a year at 90%?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

she left 22 years ago, the tories 15 years ago. How great was she, that she can leave a legacy after she retired nearly a quarter of century ago???

When the Tories left, despite following Gordon Bruin's advice to join the ERM which wrecked the economy for a bit, I was earning good money and there were plenty of jobs. That would be 1997.

fast forward 13 years and the country is a basket case again thanks to New Lie. Their hand was on the tiller when we run aground.

CMD may not be a great leader but compared to the Gurner or Snotty he is a titan.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

When the Tories left, despite following Gordon Bruin's advice to join the ERM which wrecked the economy for a bit, I was earning good money and there were plenty of jobs. That would be 1997.
          Gordon Brown took us into the ERM? Wow Wikipedia is good these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
            Gordon Brown took us into the ERM? Wow Wikipedia is good these days.
            That is not what was said

Comment

On the contrary, we have just escaped from 13 years of debt peddling hypocrisy.

Simple example no.1: In 13 years of Labour government, the 50% tax rate was in force for 3 weeks. Nothing brought in immediately after the crash (that Labour caused). Just 3 weeks before the election they knew they would lose. Under the Coalition (Tories) the 50% rate was kept in place for 3 years. Even at 45% it will raise more additional funds from the 'target' in 6 weeks than Labour did in 13 years.

Labour is the reason this country is in a mess, with a country living on benefits and seemingly unable to stand on its own feet.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                So would you roll the clock back to the 70s? Re nationalise industries, re employ millions to do the jobs now done by computer, return powers to Trade Unions and tax anyone earning over £50 grand a year at 90%?
                I would go for a 7 day ban so if the topic should be discussed it can be done so at an adult level.

I think it is painful for all of us to have to read a topic of some considerable complexity be reduced to "where are the lefties so I can make a tit out of myself again" for pages on end.
                Last edited by minestrone; 9 April 2013, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I would go for a 7 day ban so if the topic should be discussed it can be done so at an adult level.

I think it is painful for all of us to have to read a topic of some considerable complexity be reduced to "where are the lefties so I can make a tit out of myself again" for pages on end.
                  Oh come on, its good fun really

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Are you sure you are made of the right stuff to be a CUK member?

Comment

Working...
                    X