• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom and Gloom big time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom and Gloom big time

Doom and Gloom, like, big time

I'm alright Jack

We're gloomed...

Comment

It's already started...

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle1173281.ece

"
      The world's largest reinsurer, Swiss Re, unveiled plans to axe 2,000 jobs yesterday, hundreds of which are set to be lost from its iconic London offices in Sir Norman Foster's gherkin.

The latest round of cuts, which will be made over the next four months, comes only weeks after the company axed 250 of its senior managers. An announcement from the group yesterday gave no explanation for the cuts, other than claiming that they would "capture ... efficiency gains" and secure the company's competitiveness.
      "
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        We're doomed...
        You should be edgy...everyone knows its contractors that go first!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman

Mailman

COntractors go first, then the permies then the contractors come back to cover for the permies the found they couldn't do without
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Mailman
            It is by choice mate. Get out, liquidate assets, sit on 3rd world beach waiting for permiedom and house market collapse. Buy as much property as we can. Property prices pick up seen as economic indicator then the market picks up.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Mailman
              Aye MM

Generally speaking this is correct, however I have worked on sites before when the perms went first due to the setup of the contractor budget, also its less costly to lay off UK perm workers than their continental counterparts.

Comment

I was at a well known mobile telco for a while where the permies were laid off first. The permies were paid out of operational expenditure but the contractors out of capital expenditure - a crucial difference for any department desperate to balance the budget.

Comment

Indeed Lucifer, I worked many years ago at a well known car manufacturer that was contractor top-heavy for that very reason.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                  X