• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this true?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this true?

Avaaz - Monsanto vs. Mother Earth

It sounds so ridiculous and hysterical that I don't believe that this is the whole story. Monsanto is patenting GMO vegetables but the ones already in existence are just there, aren't they?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Won't be long before somebody patents sex. It will cost us a licence fee of $32 a time.

http://www.xoggoth.org/pages/xoggoth8.html#patent
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

It sounds so ridiculous and hysterical that I don't believe that this is the whole story. Monsanto is patenting GMO vegetables but the ones already in existence are just there, aren't they?
      I would love to see Monsanto in court with God on that one.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

First hit in Google for grain patents

They don't want farmers to save seeds from the previous year's crop.

And that includes the third world farmers who can least afford to pay.

P.S. These companies were what Blair was fighting for when he was telling us that GM foods were OK
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The patent bit is true, sort of. Obama put a law in place which gives greater protection to Monsanto and it's patents, so the whole fuss is very yank-centric at the moment.

A less hysterical view here: Monsanto, steaks, and chefs: Intellectual property and food | Washington Times Communities
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I can see how you could have a patent on the cocktail of chemicals that you add to perfectly good natural foods to make them more profitable but I think you'd have a hard time arguing the case for patent on a potato - as Sir Terry used to say - "Is it just me" The world seems to have gone slightly bonkers just lately
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

It is not just about modified or GM seeds. They have also patented bean seeds that have been used in Mexico for hundreds of years. By doing so Monsanto are able to collect royalties on produce from Mexico. Mexico stopped exporting beans to the US.
              Also, Congress passed the Monsanto Bill that makes it impossible to sue them for any damages consequential or otherwise for GM products.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
              X