• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How life would have been without Thatcher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How life would have been without Thatcher

From the Guardian

Britain without Margaret Thatcher | Philip Hensher | Politics | The Guardian

No thanks
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

She was too dogmatic on a lot of things. I don't think denationalisation of the CEGB did us any favours.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      She was too dogmatic on a lot of things. I don't think denationalisation of the CEGB did us any favours.
      Unless its sale had been restricted to UK ownership, but then the price would have been much lower.
      It is a challenge that subsequent governments should have tried to deal with.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Interesting EU aspect to it. Instead of Thatcher signing some of the most federalist legislation in the history of the UK (and then claiming she was was tricked - strong leader, tricked?) we'd have been out of the EU by now - I wonder how many UKIP loons realise they're recreating 80's Labour policy.

Comment

No way Michael Foot would have won.

In the end there wouldn´t be a lot different.

You look across Europe it´s hard to distinguish Britain from the rest of Europe. Only Greece has higher budget deficit than the UK, their (in Europe) steel factories and mines have also closed.

What people don´t realise is that most job losses in heavy industry in the 80´s were down to automation. Where you would have 30 or 40 people you could get by with a handful. British companies employed armies in the drawing office still using paper and pens, everywhere else it was computerised.

In the end it would have changed because they would have had no choice.

You look at social security and taxes across Europe all pretty much of a muchness.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 April 2013, 10:52.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            We would have been more like Germany, much more successful, better industry and manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
              We would have been more like Germany, much more successful, better industry and manufacturing.
              Not necessarily. German culture is very suited to industry and manufacturing. Rhineland management practises are deeply rooted in German philosophy, notably that of Max Weber, an the work ethic is different; it isn't about how hard you work or how many hours you put in, but the precision of your work. Britain has a very different history and people are often more individualist. Sure, lessons can be learned from German success, but it wouldn't necessarily be the same.

A British worker in the 70s went home at 5 o'clock without finishing the job.
              An American worker stayed on as long as it took to finish the job, which might be 12 o'clock at night.
              A German worker finished the job at 4:59pm, took one minute to put on his coat and wish his colleagues a good evening and then went home.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

explain please

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  A British worker in the 70s went home at 5 o'clock without finishing the job.
                  An American worker stayed on as long as it took to finish the job, which might be 12 o'clock at night.
                  A German worker finished the job at 4:59pm, took one minute to put on his coat and wish his colleagues a good evening and then went home
                  Well with that excellent scientific evidence I can't argue, where is this paper published that observed the working habits of one worker from each country for one day and extrapolated from it?

Comment

Well with that excellent scientific evidence I can't argue, where is this paper published that observed the working habits of one worker from each country for one day and extrapolated from it?
                    I didn't pretend it's scientific.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X