• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's Great Being a Dwarf!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Great Being a Dwarf!

Spring has sprung and my latest pub visit finds me off of my customary West Country stomping ground and in Sunny South Oxfordshire on tour with my local pub's shove ha'penny team where we've just played a tournament at the Leathern Bottle in Lewknor.

And a lovely old pub it was too I thought to myself as we trudged up from the car park through a sea of yellow daffodil heads nodding in the breeze before such notions of rural tranquility were cruelly shattered upon our entrance to the pub.

There we found a rather boisterous throng of burly young men from the local gym who, owing to the recent harsh weather conditions, were having a belated Christmas party and were taking turns to bench press a dwarf that they had hired for the occasion.

A lively little fellow he was too was our Ivan. He came over from Russia in the 1970s and joined Billy Smart's Circus and enjoyed a relatively lucrative career trading on his being a dwarf.

Unfortunately for him, all this came to an end in the 1990's when PC diktats issued by the actor's union, Equity, deemed any form of entertainment involving dwarves as being discriminatory and offensive and the work soon dried up.

I have to confess, I found his lachrymose musings on these halcyon days slightly disingenuous as he was always beaten to gigs by David Rappaport, the dwarf from central casting who got all the diminutive roles back then. Pretty much in the same way Burt Kwouk did whenever an actor of oriental ethnicity was required.

In fact Ivan's only real claim to fame was that he had a starring role in a 1980's advert for Mazda. The car featured in the ad had the smallest 6 cylinder engine on the market at the time and he featured as one of 6 dwarves stood in a line jumping up and down to the sound of a revving engine thus approximating the motion of the 6 tiny pistons.(I was going to call his bluff and point out that Mazdas have wankel engines and therefore the pistons would move in a rotary motion, but I refrained on account of his rough diamond friends).

He was certainly having a ball that evening, that's for sure. In between being man handled by the beef cakes from the gym, he was throwing down pints of Brakspears and carousing with the female patrons. Indeed, the ladies were allowing him to commit no end of transgressions that would have resulted in a clip round the ear for any non-dwarf and at one point he had his head up the vicar's wife's dress and was visibly enjoying the experience.

Ever the consummate professional, Ivan knew when to call it a day and announced that he needed to get his beauty sleep for the following morning as he was booked by the ladies of the local pilates class to use as a Swiss ball on which to perform their situps.

And he gets paid for all this! No wonder, as he made his way to the exit where his taxi awaited, he turned to us all with thumbs held aloft and declared

"It's fecking great being a dwarf!"

Amen to that.

Good stuff.

I always thought it weird that the only engine where the pistons did not go up and down was the Wankel. Not known any dwarfs but have observed that elderly men get away with things that younger ones would be arrested for.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Good stuff.

I always thought it weird that the only engine where the pistons did not go up and down was the Wankel. Not known any dwarfs but have observed that elderly men get away with things that younger ones would be arrested for.
      Oooh, perhaps I'll see if I can get away with a bit of "wandering hands" next time I'm out and about then.

Comment

That midget off Game of Thrones certainly seems to be having a ball.

Note to self: Must <cough> acquire Season 3 ep. 1 tonight. First 2 seasons were excellent. Anyone watching?

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
          That midget off Game of Thrones certainly seems to be having a ball.
          He was the south pole elf dude from elf.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
            Spring has sprung and my latest pub visit finds me off of my customary West Country stomping ground and in Sunny South Oxfordshire on tour with my local pub's shove ha'penny team where we've just played a tournament at the Leathern Bottle in Lewknor.
            There are still pubs with shove ha'penny? Of an evening we used to enjoy a few pints and a few rounds of this until slowly pubs changed and you didn't see it again, along with dominos, table top skittles (I think that was called something like Devil and Tailors), Nine Mens Morris, etc. I do remember once when working in Wellingborough I went out into the country and in the pub they had a one lane skittle alley which was quite short and (my memory fades) was very difficult. The locals allowed me to join in and twas a good evening, doubt that exists now or such an evening would ever occur again.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              There are still pubs with shove ha'penny? Of an evening we used to enjoy a few pints and a few rounds of this until slowly pubs changed and you didn't see it again, along with dominos, table top skittles (I think that was called something like Devil and Tailors), Nine Mens Morris, etc. I do remember once when working in Wellingborough I went out into the country and in the pub they had a one lane skittle alley which was quite short and (my memory fades) was very difficult. The locals allowed me to join in and twas a good evening, doubt that exists now or such an evening would ever occur again.
              There are still quite a few pubs with skittle alleys round here as there is an active skittles league. They double as dining areas when there's not a match on though so you can't just wander in willy nilly and have a game like you used to be able to.

Comment

Re: It's Great Being a Dwarf!

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                There are still quite a few pubs with skittle alleys round here as there is an active skittles league. They double as dining areas when there's not a match on though so you can't just wander in willy nilly and have a game like you used to be able to.
                I'm in my local pub's team; it's mostly an excuse for visiting other pubs and drinking, plus you get fed. Not bad for a quid!

There's a huge regional variation in the rules.

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.
                B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  The big pub game in that neck of the woods is Aunt Sally which seems to involve throwing sticks to knock a skittle like object off a wooden block.

Any Oxfordshire CUKers out there to describe the finer points of the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                    plus you get fed. Not bad for a quid!
                    When I played, the home matches were always on a Sunday evening and they would serve up reheated left over roast potatoes from Sunday lunch (that had been deep fried in rancid chip fat)

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                    I never realised it was played outside of the west. Certainly never seen skittle allies in other parts of the country.

Comment

Working...
                    X