• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The devil wears asda

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The devil wears asda

It was too good to be true, landed new gig not long after finishing another.

Gig turns out not to be sold as seen, pretty much from day 3, so one thing was said in the interview, and it turns out not to be the case.

Then there's the line manger I deal with.... if anyone has ever seen the devil wears prada, then its the male version of that. Not sure how much longer I can put up with silly mind games. I get asked to schedule project meetings, only to turn up and get asked what the meeting was for. I get asked for a summary document only for then to be told they wanted the whole thing. Any time I have a meeting with this person I summarise in an e-mail what's been said as I make sure I'm covering my ar$e but this person then denies what they said.
    If this person was a women then the mood swings would be logical ( sorry girls), but getting your head bitten off for no reason, turning up at meetings scheduled only to be asked where is x documents I asked you to bring, when they didn't or hadn't sent them in the first place. Then I get hassle about not being able to make meetings they schedule well after office hours.

I'm think i'm beginning to figure out why my predecessor left.

I'm also not sure I can put up with this much longer......................

The only incentive to stay is the market is carp here.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Gig turns out not to be sold as seen, pretty much from day 3, so one thing was said in the interview, and it turns out not to be the case.
    That's how the cloggies do business I'm afraid; tell you how 'direct and honest' they are, tell you how great they are at doing business, and then they rip you off. Get used to it and invoice the bastards.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

He obviously doesn't want anyone to work with him.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        That's how the cloggies do business I'm afraid; tell you how 'direct and honest' they are, tell you how great they are at doing business, and then they rip you off. Get used to it and invoice the bastards.
        I'm not working with cloggies.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I'm not working with cloggies.
          Not da bloody Oirish is it?

Comment

Man up bed wetter! Although maybe that's the problem, still can't believe the number of managers who still can't understand how to work with girlies so just revert to being arses
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Then there's the line manger I deal with.... if anyone has ever seen the devil wears prada, then its the male version of that. Not sure how much longer I can put up with silly mind games. I get asked to schedule project meetings, only to turn up and get asked what the meeting was for. I get asked for a summary document only for then to be told they wanted the whole thing. Any time I have a meeting with this person I summarise in an e-mail what's been said as I make sure I'm covering my ar$e but this person then denies what they said.
              If this person was a women then the mood swings would be logical ( sorry girls), but getting your head bitten off for no reason, turning up at meetings scheduled only to be asked where is x documents I asked you to bring, when they didn't or hadn't sent them in the first place. Then I get hassle about not being able to make meetings they schedule well after office hours.

The second this happened I would have walked, one of the great things about being a contractor (with a warchest) is you can just walk if you come in contact with a **** like this. Permies have to suffer this indignation and take crappy pay, we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                I did a stint in Holland and the bastards drove me up the wall! I still like working with them though. My worst day was when their senior twunt got on a plane and came to see our UK client (Vodafone) and told them that the picture messaging gateway had a few bugs but not to worry they had costed them into the SLA so that it was cheaper to leave them in and take the hit apparently his excuse after was they are just more relaxed about business and I should calm down more (I had just been absolutely mauled by the client after he left for a tea and shmoke)

But then I can't really complain that much because the following week I took one their brand spanking new 80,000 euro CLK pool cars for a drive around one of the local farmers fields ( my lesson was: don't follow a mercedes sat nav when it tells you that the next left is a small lane! ) I didn't exactly try too hard to correct my mistake once I figured out what had happened and spent 30 minutes or so tearing up some poor sods field

I left them with the insurance claim and they never complained about it, so I guess they were more relaxed
                Last edited by bobspud; 12 April 2013, 08:12. Reason: spelling !

Comment

Smile and invoice. And go to the out of hours meetings if you can. And invoice double for that.
                  Act like its not bothering you at all, keep smiling and drive 'em up the wall.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Smile and invoice. And go to the out of hours meetings if you can. And invoice double for that.
                    Act like its not bothering you at all, keep smiling and drive 'em up the wall.
                    Says the stay at home "retired" permie.

Comment

Working...
                    X