• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arrest - released without charge - impact on career?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrest - released without charge - impact on career?

Hi all,

A colleague of mine was arrested last week for doing something silly. Her partner and she had an arguement - she told him out of anger that she is fed up and wants to end her life along with their 5yr old. She apologized after a few mins, but by then her partner had called police on her...

She was arrested and had her fingerprints, photos and DNA taken. By then her partner realized the impact and told the police it might just have been a slip of tongue..After an interview with child welfare officers, the police were convinced it was a genuine case of saying something in anger and she was released without charge after 3hrs.

She is very distressed about the whole episode and is very worried her career is over and feels very ashamed of being on the police record. She didn't step out of the house since 1 week and seems very disturbed...

I've done some googling and found mixed opinion about it's impact on CRB. Does an arrest appear on CRB or enhanced CRB? Do banks do an enhanced CRB? If yes, how would they see this arrest?

She says she asked the police about it and they said she doesn't have to declare it anywhere. She is not sure through since her memories of the whole episode are hazy now.

-Bludrop

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
    She says she asked the police about it and they said she doesn't have to declare it anywhere.
    Problem solved

She is not sure through since her memories of the whole episode are hazy now.
    Ahhh.... ask them again, maybe?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

CRB checks only show spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warnings. An enhanced check would include any information held locally by police and considered relevant to the post applied for. Since she was never charged, convicted, cautioned or given a police warning she has nothing to worry about. From what you have said it would only be considered relevant if she was applying for a role involving children. If she ever goes for SC/DV roles then she will need to tell them about it, but it's unlikely to make a difference as they only care if you don't tell them.

Gory details here :
      https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barrin...check/overview
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Woman threatens to kill herself and child is bad enough, the fact that she has a hazy memory of it less than a week ago screams mental issues to me. Did she mention voices told her to.

I steer well clear of anyone like that.......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi all,

she told him out of anger that she is fed up and wants to end her life along with their 5yr old. She apologized after a few
          mins, but by then her partner had called police on her...

her memories of the whole episode are hazy now.

-
          I would think she would best be signed of sick for a while as it sounds like she is very unwell.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Woman threatens to kill herself and child is bad enough, the fact that she has a hazy memory of it less than a week ago screams mental issues to me. Did she mention voices told her to.

The question was about the arrest appearing on CRB....
            If you don't have an answer, why don't you carry on googling for other posts?

How much you enjoy pricking people when they are low! I wish I didn't send her a link to this thread...

The child protection officers and the police were convinced it was a mistake....who are you to judge?
            Last edited by bluedrop; 12 April 2013, 15:38.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
              I would think she would best be signed of sick for a while as it sounds like she is very unwell.
              Yep, she has been at home for a week now. She is apparently too shocked by the whole incident. I spoke to her a few mins ago...she sounded better than last time....

She said she just said it in anger and didn't mean it...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Wait a minute......did you used to work for the Samaritans?

Comment

It might show up on an enhanced CRB check, which can include even allegations not yet leading to an arrest - in fact allegations you may not even be aware of.

If the role being applied for has contact with children, I'd bet the chances of this being flagged go from low to high. No vetting officer is going to take a chance when they see the details of the arrest even remotely talked about killing a child, in jest or not.

And strictly speaking, if she wants to go to the US, she now needs to apply for a visa, rather than go on the visa waiver scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    CRB checks only show spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warnings. An enhanced check would include any information held locally by police and considered relevant to the post applied for. Since she was never charged, convicted, cautioned or given a police warning she has nothing to worry about. From what you have said it would only be considered relevant if she was applying for a role involving children. If she ever goes for SC/DV roles then she will need to tell them about it, but it's unlikely to make a difference as they only care if you don't tell them.

Gory details here :
                    https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barrin...check/overview
                    Not sure, my enhanced CRB showed an acquittal. (Crown Court)

Comment

Working...
                    X