• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the catch with buying a cheap Landrovers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the catch with buying a cheap Landrovers

Viewing the used Landrovers for sale here, ordered by price from low to high, some seem remarkably cheap for their mileage and general appearance.

I wondered if there was a catch. I mean do they have 8 litre engines that guzzle fuel like a parched camel at a water hole? Or do they cost £3000 a year to service?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 12 April 2013, 23:31.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

They may have fixed them since, but my sister had one about 7 years ago from new. Once the warranty finished it started needing some very expensive maintenance.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Viewing the used Landrovers for sale here, ordered by price from low to high, some seem remarkably cheap for their mileage and general appearance.

I wondered if there was a catch. I mean do they have 8 litre engines that guzzle fuel like a parched camel at a water hole? Or do they cost £3000 a year to service?

Any ideas?
      As soon as you hand over your 50k the thing you bought will drop in price each day, and it will guzzle fuel costing you even more as well as the high road tax and expensive repairs. Stupid investment.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Any ideas?
        I think the catch is that you´ll look like a gangsta rap wannabe.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You could buy a really nice car for a lot less.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Place up the road from me does them.

Home Page

Comment

They are far from economical on fuel and the early Freelanders are known to suffer from reliability problems.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Which model are you looking at would help?

Comment

The petrol engined ones are very expensive to run(get diesel) , a new set of tyres will be at least £600, the insurance for mine was £800 ten feckin years ago (clean licence)) and a service (required frequently) was around £400. So, cheap to buy, but expensive to run.
                  If you have the money - get one
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

New or old one of the most unreliable cars around. A mate bought a new Freelander a year ago, it was back to the garage three times in the first month to get faults fixedand apparently that's the norm.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X