• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tips for negotiating guest house / hotel rates for long stay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for negotiating guest house / hotel rates for long stay

Hi everyone,

This is my first post - so please be kind!

I'm about to embark on a new 6 month contract in Henley on Thames and am looking to find a place to stay for every Sunday evening through to Thursday morning as I live in East Yorkshire.

I wondered if any contractors have any recommendations for negotiating a rate with a hotel or guest house for longer stays? Is it possible to negotiate a better rate for agreeing to stay with them 5 nights a week for say a 3 month or 6 month period? Or is the room rate exactly that - the room rate you must pay!

I have booked into a guest house in High Wycombe for the first week - but wondering what is the best option thereafter. I'm thinking Reading, High Wycombe and Maidenhead may all be options for commuting to Henley - but I'm guessing someone on here has had some experience of working in that area?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Sophie

I'm using spareroom.com to find lodgings.

Staying in B&B for more than a couple of nights per week will eat into your day rate.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by sophieotts View Post
      Hi everyone,

I'm afraid that's just not possible on here..

I always find that murdering the elderly B&B proprietor and storing her in the pantry affords a dramatic reduction of weekly rents payable.
      The only thing is you have to do your own laundry, and you can't bring around guests with a good sense of smell..

Sophie
      Gosh, as in you're a girlie?
      I've never chatted to a girl online before. I wonder whether I can pluck up the courage to tell you you have nice fonts.
      No, I'll chicken out of that and just prepare to ask whether you want to see my train sets..

Edit: Ooh, welcome to the site
      Last edited by KentPhilip; 12 April 2013, 22:46.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I'm about to embark on a new 6 month contract in Henley on Thames and am looking to find a place to stay for every Sunday evening through to Thursday morning as I live in East Yorkshire.

I wondered if any contractors have any recommendations for negotiating a rate with a hotel or guest house for longer stays? Is it possible to negotiate a better rate for agreeing to stay with them 5 nights a week for say a 3 month or 6 month period? Or is the room rate exactly that - the room rate you must pay!

I have booked into a guest house in High Wycombe for the first week - but wondering what is the best option thereafter. I'm thinking Reading, High Wycombe and Maidenhead may all be options for commuting to Henley - but I'm guessing someone on here has had some experience of working in that area?

Sophie
        Hello Sophie

Yes, I've worked and B&Bd it in that area. Indeed, I have a current post all about an establishment that may be well up your street - The Leathern Bottle in Lewknor.

If that's not close enough I can strongly recommend checking out the town of Wallingford which is just up the road and, while very pleasant, slightly cheaper than Henley.
        a

Comment

Hi everyone,

Sophie
          Depends on the usual clientle, business or tourist, how amenable they are to discounts for longer/guaranteed stays. In the past I've been able to get some good deals by paying 2, 3, 4 weeks up front. You might want to consider a flat/house share, it often works out cheaper over a longer term.

Commuting from HW to Henley is usually a nightmare. The M40 roundabout at Handy Cross, Marlow, Marlow bypass, the road down into Henley and the river are real bottle necks, at least try to get something on the same side of the Thames as the client.

Comment

Now that some bedwetters have answered you, with appallingly poor answers, here's your next move.

Find some hotels/B&B's that you like the look of, go in and see them and tell them how long you'll be staying and what you'd like to meet in terms of budget. If they don't go for it, move on. You'll get what you want eventually.

Seeing as you're female, you could try fluttering your eye lashes or showing a little cleavage. This should work if you're not a complete munter. In fact, probably best to post a picture of yourself and let the CUK geek virgin jury decide for themselves.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I wondered if any contractors have any recommendations for negotiating a rate with a hotel or guest house for longer stays? Is it possible to negotiate a better rate for agreeing to stay with them 5 nights a week for say a 3 month or 6 month period?
              Yes, easy!

All you need is a hockey mask and a chainsaw.

HTH

MF

Comment

Last edited by KentPhilip; 13 April 2013, 00:17.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Now that some bedwetters have answered you, with appallingly poor answers (apart from moderator cojak's answer, which was of the usual superlative quality), here's your next move.
                  FTFY

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses guys! Some really interesting responses too

I am finding the HW to Henley commute to be rather naff as was mentioned... funny how a 13 mile drive can take over an hour in the early morning traffic. The A404 is indeed a nightmare and going through Marlow isn't fun either.

Like the idea of spare room - although some of the rates round here are a bit steep (or am I just being a tight northerner?). I also wonder how easy it is to get some kind of receipt from the landlord to put through the books?

I'll have a call around some local B&Bs and see what they might charge me for a month up front. I love the idea of not having to shell out on rental deposit etc, which all the spare room people seem to want around here.

I'm staying in a place in West Wycombe, very reasonable but a bit far out!

Comment

Working...
                    X