• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are some folk keen on making a point at the funeral?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are some folk keen on making a point at the funeral?

Some are talking about turning their back as the procession passes by. Some are thinking of holding up the Saville-Thatcher picture...
    What's the point? If you disagree with her politics join Galloway's Respect Party, or move to NK
    All seems a bit exhibitionism to me..
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

It goes beyond them disagreeing with her policies - they have a personal hatred for her.

Also left-wingers, unlike right-wingers, need to protest publicly for what they want, because their agenda is all about bringing people together into a united consensus (unlike right-wingers who just want to be left alone to do their own thing, and their political activity reflects this). So holding up placards at her funeral is just part of this.

Comment

They are sheep, and sons of sheep.

Comment

They're just being trendy. I'd bet most of them vote Conservative in the privacy of a voting booth.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          It goes beyond them disagreeing with her policies - they have a personal hatred for her.

Also left-wingers, unlike right-wingers, need to protest publicly for what they want, because their agenda is all about bringing people together into a united consensus (unlike right-wingers who just want to be left alone to do their own thing, and their political activity reflects this). So holding up placards at her funeral is just part of this.
          Most of the people who are "protesting" are too young to be directly effected by any of her policies, so as said they are protesting because they think its the done thing. It shows the type of people who they are, they would rather hang onto 23 years of anger than put their big boy pants on and do something for themselves while the hard working people who benefited from her policies get on with their jobs, with a quiet nod to the lady as they do.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hating personally someone you never met based on their policies seems on a par with hating someone you never met because they support the wrong football team to me, or hating a company as if they are a person.

Also - when is the bloody thing? This article has a lot of info on what colour ties people will wear and notes the program will start at 9:15am, but fails to mention which day...
            Last edited by d000hg; 13 April 2013, 19:17.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              .. but fails to mention which day...
              Wednesday.

Death and funeral of Margaret Thatcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                Some are talking about turning their back as the procession passes by.
                What's so wrong in that then? - seems a fairly restrained way to show disapproval to me. After all, this is a State Funeral in all but name, being paid for by all of us.
                Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                What's the point? If you disagree with her politics join Galloway's Respect Party, or move to NK
                All seems a bit exhibitionism to me..
                What in hell's name has Galloway got to do with this? As for moving to NK; maybe you'd be more at home there - after all when they have a State Funeral for a dead leader, there is universal agreement on how wonderful that leader was and what a terrible loss it was - no dissent allowed.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Most of the people who are "protesting" are too young to be directly effected[sic]* by any of her policies, so as said they are protesting because they think its the done thing. It shows the type of people who they are, they would rather hang onto 23 years of anger than put their big boy pants on and do something for themselves while the hard working people who benefited from her policies get on with their jobs, with a quiet nod to the lady as they do.
                The "big boy pants" thing here is to accept that if you're going to have such a public occasion rather than a quiet private one, some people may chose to use the opportunity to demonstrate their distaste and dissent. That's the price we pay for living in what's left of a free country.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Hating personally someone you never met based on their policies seems on a par with hating someone you never met because they support the wrong football team to me, or hating a company as if they are a person.
                Agreed, but this person is a such a figurehead and so divisive it's hard to distinguish the person from the policies - of course that doesn't excuse hatred or inappropriate behaviour, but it may explain a restrained show of dissent at the public event. Naturally, if you feel Mrs Thatcher was some kind of saviour, this may rankle a bit - but the funeral could have been held in private.

As for all these cosy slap each other on the back postings about "evil nasty lefties" - keep it up, the only people you're kidding are yourselves. There are evil nasty folk on both "sides" of the Thatcher divide - but there are a lot of decent folks too. When you feel the need to continually belittle everything about people who disagree with you, maybe you're not cut out for living in a Western Democracy.

BTW for the avoidance of doubt, I do not condone noisy, violent or inappropriate actions at a funeral (I think banners or holding up Saville pics would be too much) - just free expression of views.

* except perhaps the educational ones?
                Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 13 April 2013, 20:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  The "big boy pants" thing here is to accept that if you're going to have such a public occasion rather than a quiet private one, some people may chose to use the opportunity to demonstrate their distaste and dissent. That's the price we pay for living in what's left of a free country.
                  Why does showing disproval have to become civil disobedience?! Some people will kick off for the sake of kicking off and that's what this is turning into
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Why does showing disproval have to become civil disobedience?! Some people will kick off for the sake of kicking off and that's what this is turning into
                    As I said, I don't condone that - but with this stuff there are long memories and old scores to settle. I saw a very interesting documentary about the (Thatcher era) Miner's strike once in which both sides (Police and Miners) acknowledged that they were all for a good punch-up - much as in footie violence - there seems to be something of this in some of us as a Nation.

Knowing that, it's a risk holding such a public and publically-funded event. I don't say it's right, but it's there and it's not the sole preserve of the left or right - some bloke on here commented how he's looking forward to kicking some crusties at the event - bluster, bravado, limp attempt at humour - maybe, but indicative of a vein of thought on both sides.

Comment

Working...
                    X