• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatcher thingy on C4 now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thatcher thingy on C4 now

Documentary on the legacy of Margaret Thatcher. Martin Durkin's thesis is that she was a working class revolutionary who thought capitalism was in the interests of ordinary people
    I still think she was the worst kind of snob, i.e. one who rose from the working classes, and that's why she hated them so much.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Yes it's very interesting. Putting it into a full historical context.
    Although it is right-wing biased.

Comment

agree slightly right wing but on the whole difficult to see how the left made her into such a monster.

My Kids were watching and they were horrified at the idea of the electric being off most nights.

Daddy did you have a television? ...
      yes just the one, B&W about the same size as the one in your bedroom....
      but we have 7 tvs now Daddy, what did you watch?..
      Whatever Mum & Dad wanted to watch. But during the power cuts we read a book around a candle or hurricane lantern--- Oh (deep thought).

And life before mobile phones My teenager thought we ate dinosaurs!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        agree slightly right wing but on the whole difficult to see how the left made her into such a monster.

My Kids were watching and they were horrified at the idea of the electric being off most nights.

Daddy did you have a television? ...
        yes just the one, B&W about the same size as the one in your bedroom....
        but we have 7 tvs now Daddy, what did you watch?..
        Whatever Mum & Dad wanted to watch. But during the power cuts we read a book around a candle or hurricane lantern--- Oh (deep thought).

And life before mobile phones My teenager thought we ate dinosaurs!
        On a left/right point of order - remember we had power cuts under both Labour and Tory Governments at that time. The infamous 3-day week was under a Tory Government.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          I still think she was the worst kind of snob, i.e. one who rose from the working classes, and that's why she hated them so much.
          How utterly ridiculous. She made a point of emphasising her humble origins, which is the last thing a snob would want to do.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So explain why her policies enabled the working class to buy their own homes and for essex oiks to become wealthy working class traders in banks. Her fight was with the unions and the vested interests for you to imply that this was a snobbish attack on the working class is a complete lie.

her whole mantra was one of take responsibility be accountable work hard and enjoy the rewards of your efforts.. as so embodied by IT contractors.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              On a left/right point of order - remember we had power cuts under both Labour and Tory Governments at that time. The infamous 3-day week was under a Tory Government.
              And your point is?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Are you saying that a snob who only ever knew their own rich upbringing and is out of touch with the real world is the kind of snob you like?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Are you saying that a snob who only ever knew their own rich upbringing and is out of touch with the real world is the kind of snob you like?
                  I think what he means is that it is OK for him to be free too make his own decisions, make a lot of money and be materialistic but it is not OK for any working class oik to have what he has

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    And your point is?
                    Historical accuracy and to emphasise this stuff isn't a simple left/right. Not all the bad stuff happened under one party or the other. It still isn't/doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X