• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday Euler

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Euler

-1 = exp( i * PI ).

Well, who'd have thunk it?

Euler's identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Euler's formula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feck me, I'd forgotten all of that.

Long long ago & far far away, I knew stuff.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 22 May 2017, 20:41.

Has to be one of the more beautiful equations although I still don't understand how it just so happens to be true, unless we view pi and e as reciprocal in a weird way i.e. it's just one constant not two.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This is how it works. Consider the complex plane, with real numbers along the x-axis and imaginary numbers along the y-axis (aka an Argand Diagram). It turns out that a.exp(bi) where a and b are real numbers, is a complex number reached by moving a along the x-axis, then rotating anti-clockwise around the origin b radians. There are 2.PI radians in a circle, so PI radians is 180°. Therefore 1.exp(PI.i) is equivalent to starting at (1,0) and then rotating anti-clockwise through 180° - which gets you to (-1,0).

Euler's equation is usually quoted as 1 + e^(PI.i) = 0. In this way 7 fundamental objects of mathematics are in one equation: 1, +, e, PI, i, = and 0. Exponentiation is derivable from addition, so is not included as a fundamental object.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Has to be one of the more beautiful equations although I still don't understand how it just so happens to be true.
        Because god wanted it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Because god wanted it that way.

God invented the integers. All else is of man.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            This is how it works. Consider the complex plane, with real numbers along the x-axis and imaginary numbers along the y-axis (aka an Argand Diagram). It turns out that a.exp(bi) where a and b are real numbers, is a complex number reached by moving a along the x-axis, then rotating anti-clockwise around the origin b radians. There are 2.PI radians in a circle, so PI radians is 180°. Therefore 1.exp(PI.i) is equivalent to starting at (1,0) and then rotating anti-clockwise through 180° - which gets you to (-1,0).

Euler's equation is usually quoted as 1 + e^(PI.i) = 0. In this way 7 fundamental objects of mathematics are in one equation: 1, +, e, PI, i, = and 0. Exponentiation is derivable from addition, so is not included as a fundamental object.
            Yes yes but it's still a bit lovely the 2 main irrational constants of our universe are in some way reflections of each other.

Comment

Nope integers are man made, most early civilizations only had numbers for 1 and 2 with others being many. Also God does not exist.

Comment

Integers always existed, they just weren't discovered you clot.

Comment

Parroting Kronecker's dictum without reflecting on how e and pi are so ubiqitious in nature, and hence would be "God's constants" explains why you have just read Spivak and not done the exercises* (wherein lies the meat).

*And if you claim to have done them and found them easy, I'll call you a liar.

PS if anyone is inspired to learn more on Euler try Dunham's "Euler:Master of us all".
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Integers always existed, they just weren't discovered you clot.
                    They are an abstract notation invented by man, unless you can show me an actual integer? Maybe you should take a basic Math course before insulting people and making yourself look like a moron.
                    Last edited by proggy; 15 April 2013, 13:07.

Comment

Working...
                    X