• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The possibility of major economic chaos in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The possibility of major economic chaos in the UK

Is it low/medium/high?

We've had higher than this level of debt before, but then had the captive markets and resources of the Empire (pre- 20th century) and/or a relatively strong manufacturing/exporting base (just after the 2nd world war).
    Never in the field of economic calamity have we been in such a state with no apparent means to pay for it.
    50% of the country or more are non-productive in balance of payments terms: that includes people like DA, accountants, lawyers, public sector workers etc. - anyone who takes a cut from productive economic work or goods that can be sold abroad.

I'm rating the possibility of economic chaos as middling to high.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Is it low/medium/high?

We've had higher than this level of debt before, but then had the captive markets and resources of the Empire (pre- 20th century) and/or a relatively strong manufacturing/exporting base (just after the 2nd world war).
    Never in the field of economic calamity have we been in such a state with no apparent means to pay for it.
    50% of the country or more are non-productive in balance of payments terms: that includes people like DA, accountants, lawyers, public sector workers etc. - anyone who takes a cut from productive economic work or goods that can be sold abroad.

Depends. When are you off?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Is it low/medium/high?

Hmm whenever anyone raises an argument based on their beliefs you dismiss it as being unproven.

Yet when someone raises an agrumnet based on quotes and facts of journalists and experts you dismiss it as journo tripe

so I guess this is just another of your brain farts?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Depends. When are you off?
        Let's face it the UK economy's future is not dependent on non-productive spiv middlemen like yourself.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Let's face it the UK economy's future is not dependent on non-productive spiv middlemen like yourself.
          Where do you draw the line? Dismissing enablers sounds naive and doctrinaire (*).

I mean is a truck driver a non-productive parasite for simply transporting goods they didn't make?

(*) and the very "Black and white" attitude you were complaining about in others last week
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I think you will find that it is the middlemen who by virtue of the importance of what we do are the ones that make the most money in the workplace pecking order. When are you off btw?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I would say high. There is little resilience built into the system to deal with adverse events and it's hard to see an obvious upside. I expect some social unrest as well.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Hmm whenever anyone raises an argument based on their beliefs you dismiss it as being unproven.

Yet when someone raises an agrumnet based on quotes and facts of journalists and experts you dismiss it as journo tripe

so I guess this is just another of your brain farts?
                Which part of: huge debt with no obvious means to pay it down are you disagreeing with?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  I think you will find that it is the middlemen who by virtue of the importance of what we do are the ones that make the most money in the workplace pecking order. When are you off btw?
                  You're misssing the whole point as usual. The money you make doesn't help Britain pay its way in the world. It's just taking a slice of the small pie that exists.
                  Whereas I'm exporting services directly to a firm in a foreign country.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Which part of: huge debt with no obvious means to pay it down are you disagreeing with?
                    I'd add the inability to stop spending more than we earn as well. It's spiraling out of control and it doesn't look like anyone can stop it.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X