• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 and Linkedin Profiles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 and Linkedin Profiles

Hi All

I have been a long term social media conscientious objector. But I think the time has come for me to finally adopt one of them, for business purposes only ofcourse... linkedin.

Being a contractor and always trying to keep under the IR35 radar, I am a little cautious. It would be a very simple exercise for Hector to google my name + linkedin to read my profile summary without even having to log into linkedin.

Instead of listing the various end clients I have had over the last 10 years in London on my profile, I think it would be a good idea for me to instead list project names that I have worked on, under the banner of my UK Ltd company name. This would seem to be most in line with IR35 etc.

Has anyone heard of Hector using a linkedin profile as evidence in an IR35 investigation/prosecution? Or any advice for my profile?

Cheers

The general consensus is that IR35 investigations come off the back of a tax inspection. They don't seem to trawl media looking for IR35 cases alone. They need some evidence to open an invetigation and it just wouldn't be worth starting preliminary investigations on everyone on linkedin.

Remember IR35 is on a contract by contract basis so listing your client isn't a problem. It is also about your working practices so what you put in linkedin means squat.

Don't want to be rude but you have to apply some common sense as well. LinkedIn is massive and seems to be adopted as one of the standard business social media places. It wouldn't be if any of your fears were confirmed. Understanding what IR35 a little better will also help reduce the fears you are asking about.

Make sure you get your contracts checked, pay your insuraces, act like a business and then just get on with it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
      Hi All

I have been a long term social media conscientious objector. But I think the time has come for me to finally adopt one of them, for business purposes only ofcourse... linkedin.

Being a contractor and always trying to keep under the IR35 radar, I am a little cautious. It would be a very simple exercise for Hector to google my name + linkedin to read my profile summary without even having to log into linkedin.

Instead of listing the various end clients I have had over the last 10 years in London on my profile, I think it would be a good idea for me to instead list project names that I have worked on, under the banner of my UK Ltd company name. This would seem to be most in line with IR35 etc.

Has anyone heard of Hector using a linkedin profile as evidence in an IR35 investigation/prosecution? Or any advice for my profile?

Cheers
      I don't care what HMRC thinks of LinkedIn. I consider myself a business person running a business. Business people promote their businesses on LinkedIn - my company website explains what business I am in and the services I offer and can be viewed via LinkedIn.

That's it really.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hi All

Cheers
        Kinell! I thought I was paranoid about hmrc!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Kinell! I thought I was paranoid about hmrc!
          Fair doo's, I am probably being completely paranoid!

But when I look through contractor colleagues linkedin profiles, the majority of them read like serial permie staff profiles. Most of them make no mention at all of the name of their actual employer (their own ltd company).

For example:
          Joe Bloggs
          BI Developer at Acme1 Ltd
          2005-2013
          C++ Developer at Acme2 Ltd
          2000-2005

If I was Hector and had a tax compliance investigation underway with Joe Bloggs and I happened to dial up this profile on linkedin I would be very suspicious about IR35 compliance!

Comment

But when I look through contractor colleagues linkedin profiles, the majority of them read like serial permie staff profiles. Most of them make no mention at all of the name of their actual employer (their own ltd company).

For example:
            Joe Bloggs
            2005-2013
            2000-2005

If I was Hector and had a tax compliance investigation underway with Joe Bloggs and I happened to dial up this profile on linkedin I would be very suspicious about IR35 compliance!
            But we would be comepletely and utterly wrong. IR35 is a hugely complex area and looking at a list tells them absolutely nothing. They are a bit more professional than just guessing from words on linkedin. Bearing in mind an investigation is a costly affair they wouldn't be stupid enough to take this as evidence... as there is absolutely none.

It is a list of skills and achievments and is very open to individual intrepretation. He is trying to tell prostepective clients what he has done and what he is capable of. Putting his own ltd will mean nothing to them. Granted in this one case the timescales look a bit excessive but global BI projects can go on for years and clients are need to keep the knowledge for the entire period.

Either way, that his is business not yours. Do what you want with your profile, don't copy others.

I would stay off linkedin if I were you. Could do you more damage than good if you get it wrong.

Comment

For example:
              Joe Bloggs
              2005-2013
              2000-2005

You think HMRC staff are computer literate?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

and how do you know that guy has been accounting outside IR35? For all you know from reading that he could have been through brolly, claimed himself inside IR35 and so on.

You can't go wrong guessing at what people do and take that as a suspicious situation that is worthy of paying tax payers money to investigate...

As I say... you need to apply a bit of the old common as well. Don't just look at the face of it and guess.

Comment

For example:
                  Joe Bloggs
                  2005-2013
                  2000-2005

I agree some 'contractors' do look more like permies. But even if hmrc did look through your profile, so long as you're not one of those who has stayed at a place for years and years, I dont think they'd bother with you.

Additionally, I do show my co and client for each role I've done.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

A print out of a linkedin profile reading like a list of premie jobs wouldn't help your ir35 case it if goes to court I'd suggest?

I list my ltd company name and then all clients underneath it. I think it also helps me to present myself to any new linkedin contacts as running a consultancy rather than being an employee for hire.

Comment

Working...
                    X