• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Citizenship, should you bother?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a nice chat yesterday with a guy from mainland EU - he's been working (paying NI etc) and living in the UK for 8 years now and he is well eligible to apply for citizenship.
    What we discussed (over a pint of UK ale) is that he can't be bothered either way - sure there are problems in his home country and similar ones here, same ones really - economic worries, the rising cost of living, different cultures not mixing together that well, some crime, but it's roughly the same.
    What are your thoughts on this, should we invite the lad or tell him to buggger off?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I had a nice chat yesterday with a guy from mainland EU - he's been working (paying NI etc) and living in the UK for 8 years now and he is well eligible to apply for citizenship.
    What we discussed (over a pint of UK ale) is that he can't be bothered either way - sure there are problems in his home country and similar ones here, same ones really - economic worries, the rising cost of living, different cultures not mixing together that well, some crime, but it's roughly the same.
    What are your thoughts on this, should we invite the lad or tell him to buggger off?
    If he is EU why would he bother?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      If he is EU why would he bother?
      My question exactly, to stir up a conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        That old half full bottle eh?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          That old half full bottle eh?
          I'd tell him why bother (unless he is Romanian or Bulgarian ). Also, till David Cameron's EU Referendum by 2015 he has time to decide.

If he leaves the country in the future, he might need to pay taxes on his worldwide income. Due to double taxation it might be zero, but still another paper to file and worry about.
          Last edited by istvan; 17 April 2013, 17:35.
          My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

"he's been working (paying NI etc) and living in the UK for 8 years now and he is well eligible to apply for citizenship."

Sounds like me (if I was male).

Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Done all my degrees here, only ever held proper (graduate) jobs in this country, got kid here now, getting married to a Cornish bloke in August and ditching the German last name. Even considering anglicising the spelling of my first and middle name by deed poll (cause they get misspelled all the time anyway). Have never had a German accent, as I've been speaking English most of my life and lived in a few English speaking countries as a teenager. I'd like a British passport. It would sort of complete things. And it would fit into all these pretty passport covers (German passports are slightly too big for those). But somehow, I just can't be arsed. It seems like an utterly pointless expense.
            Maybe, someday....

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
              "he's been working (paying NI etc) and living in the UK for 8 years now and he is well eligible to apply for citizenship."

Sounds like me (if I was male).

Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Done all my degrees here, only ever held proper (graduate) jobs in this country, got kid here now, getting married to a Cornish bloke in August and ditching the German last name. Even considering anglicising the spelling of my first and middle name by deed poll (cause they get misspelled all the time anyway). Have never had a German accent, as I've been speaking English most of my life and lived in a few English speaking countries as a teenager. I'd like a British passport. It would sort of complete things. And it would fit into all these pretty passport covers (German passports are slightly too big for those). But somehow, I just can't be arsed. It seems like an utterly pointless expense.
              Maybe, someday....
              John McEnroe is German, born in Wiesbaden, you're not his sockie are you?

"The database archive logs were corrupt..."

"I DO NOT believe this, you are the PITS of Oracle....."

Comment

It's handy to have if you want to apply for roles that are closed to non UK nationals.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Im in the same situation.. I've been here for over 17 years, but it does not make any difference what so ever if I got a UK passport. And as most countries don't allow dual citizenship I would lose my original passport, which is out of the question. My kids got dual citizenship, but I believe they will lose one of them when they reach the age of 18, unless we can convince them we've got ties to both countries.

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
                    I'd tell him why bother (unless he is Romanian or Bulgarian ). Also, till David Cameron's EU Referendum by 2015 he has time to decide.
                    A Referendum wont change this, as UK would still be part of EEC, meaning anybody in EU can still live and work in UK on the same level as any UK/EU citizen.

Comment

Working...
                    X